Looking for Ribbon foil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I am searching for some foil for a ribbon project. The foil should be in the region of 15microns. At present, we have used 8micron foil, but need something much stronger. This is for a special ribbon driver which a friend is busy developing. As soon as I know more, i will let you guys know. Any correspondence regarding where i can get the 15micron foil can be sent via e-mail to me : nass@mweb.co.za

Thanks for your assistance.

Hi Linesource, thanks for the suggestion but we have tried normal household foil and it is not delivering the results that we require. It sounds too "tin-like" which in turn creates an effect as if one has a standard speaker mounted into a tin can. I will still look around an try other brands of household foil (there are probably about ten brands available), it could also be that the foil we tried is of a low quality therefore the thickness is also less than that of a decent quality foil.

SQfan,

You can treat the aluminum foil several different ways. This can affect how the material sounds and how well it holds a fold. Might be worth some experimenting.

1) work harden: crinkle up and then smooth out

2) heat soften: heat up over 575F and cool slowly

3) heat harden: heat up to over 575F and put in cold water

You can also glue thin AL foil onto mylar or kapton, or cut open a film/foil capacitor to get very thin aluminum sputtered onto mylar.

Hi Guys,

My colleague has managed to locate some foil from a manufacturer/producer in SA. From the info he gave me, i reckon that the foil is not annealed. He has in the meantime done some tests with the new foil and it seems to be working at a satisfactory level.

Regards,

SQFan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.