Motor-based planar speakers-can it be done? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2007, 01:34 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

moray james said:

"We spent just under two million dollars in the first year and a half getting ready for production of the "Aria" which was distributed by Sumo of California."

Moray, can you give a rough breakdown of how the 2 million was spent. Are you just refering to tooling up or does this include R&D etc?

It seems like a lot of money.

Thanks, SP.
Old 10th July 2007, 01:53 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Default I was wromg then...

I don't haver the numbers on paper so I will guess for you. Over the time of a year and a half we probably blew through a half million or the best part of it on everything from bic pens to crazy glue, R&D the lot. Over time we spent more than two million that's for sure. By the time that Museatex had done with our invertors it was a lot more than that.
Old 11th July 2007, 02:39 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

There never was $2,000,000.

Highwood (developers and manufacturers of the Sumo Aria) did have venture capital funding, but it only amounted to $500,000 (CAN), taken in two tranches. I think there was a small third round, just to keep the company going, but I had resigned by then.

Any later funding will have been related to Meitner / Museatex / Meloir. This will have been mostly electronics, not the speakers by themselves.

Moray: Stop living the lie. $2,000,000?. Try to remember what actually happened. It might do you some good.
Old 11th July 2007, 10:21 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Default My post #50

I checked back through this thread and found a reference to the article I referred to in yesterday's post #50. It was in Moray's post #13. I quote:

"Audio" June 1992 the article was titled "A New Type of Speaker, A Shere of Sound". (I assume he meant "Sphere". )

Anybody got a copy?

Paul
Old 11th July 2007, 02:21 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

The Absolute Sound has reviewed the Sumo Aria in issue 62 according to an information I found in a review of a Manger speaker system. Anyone's got a copy?

Regards

Zelter
Old 11th August 2008, 03:08 PM   #56
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

I just built this magnetostatically driven speaker with balsawood diaphragm:
Click the image to open in full size.
There is a second arch below the table that can´t be seen in the picture with a rectangular voice coil in the region where they touch eachother. The project originates in two goals that suddenly found together: Building a line-array of bending wave transducers to overcome the max-SPL and THD problems of the manger and building some speaker with wood to explore the phenomenon of "material sound". As expected there are nasty resonances. But there are other aspects that are quite unexpected:
The material has no "material sound" at all, especially no wooden one.
It is not as precisely localizable as other speakers.
Most unexpected is that the sound is almost independent of the listening position.
The level is not very dependent on the listening distance.
The CSD is quite slow even in the region above 2kHz, where it is resonance free:
Click the image to open in full size.
Seems that I have built no bending wave transducer but a DML. What I indend to do next is experimenting with flat diaphragms made of natural materials and NXT exciters. I heard both the Göbel and the Podiumsound at the Highend this year and my first listening Impression of my elaborate tells me it should be possible to top the performances of these two.
The problem: Where getting exciters (Fane prefered) as a private person?
Old 26th August 2008, 04:39 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Default Motorizing

The EC Motors would maybe call for renewed thoughts ?
The EC motor have parallell coils in the stator. The rotor consists of permanent magnets. Electronically switched coils controls the rpm, making frequenze regulators obsolete..
What if.... Class D-Amps. switching direct in ribbon arrays...
Or EC motors controlling a real woofer ?
Old 27th August 2008, 06:41 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Something like that is one of my options for this Project:
Triangle shaped metal music maker?

Seems that the flatpanel project is dead. I think I have used Google extensively and I just found one company/person who could manufacture the diaphragm to my specs, so I didn´t dare to ask for the price. Not to speak that exciters are unavailable.
Old 27th August 2008, 08:44 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Hallo el`Ol,

You already do not consider "Rubanoide" type for design?
Old 27th August 2008, 11:29 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Charcoal
Hallo el`Ol,

You already do not consider "Rubanoide" type for design?

Not yet. I´ll do the less neodymium wasting project first. But I am still interested in what a polycrystaline graphite diaphragm will do.

Hide this!Advertise here!