Mixed feedback - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2006, 10:52 PM   #1
Bazukaz is offline Bazukaz  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Bazukaz
Default Mixed feedback

Hi,
Recently i found the following article for improving output tranformer's performance.Maybe it would be useful for ESLs , especially lower quality trannies ?

http://www.lundahl.se/pdfs/papers/feedbck.pdf

Regards,
Lukas.
Old 9th May 2006, 11:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks like a negative resistance to me.

It might not be suitable for driving capacitive loads like esl's.
Old 13th May 2006, 06:20 AM   #3
orjan is offline orjan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The negativ fedback is only set to be enough to nearly cancel the serial resistans in the primary.
Old 13th May 2006, 08:28 AM   #4
maudio is offline maudio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yes, and the winding resistance of the primaire is the least of your worries when designing an ESL-transformer

What makes a good esl transformer so difficult to design is the combination of required output voltage (together with the v/turn ratio determining # of sec turns) and the large frequency range: the low frequency limit requires a large # of prim turns but the high limit requires low internal capacitances and low leak, what in turn requires as little turns as possible. In other words, the problems are at the secundairy side.

I am currently trying to design an amplifier/transformer combination that includes the transformer in the feedback loop. But it proves very difficult to obtain enough bandwidth
Old 13th May 2006, 11:55 PM   #5
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

the point is that you're missing is that cancelling the pri resistive current causes a very large reduction in low frequency distortion

http://www.analog.com/library/analog..._handbook.html

chapter 6 ~ 6.70+

the question is could you usefully rely on this to extend esl transformer usable bandwidth lower limit
Old 14th May 2006, 08:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcx
the question is could you usefully rely on this to extend esl transformer usable bandwidth lower limit
Interesting paper, thanks for the link!

I believe this method could to some extend be useful to lower low frequency distortion by the transfo, if it could be made to work properly in capacitive loads. But than again, I don't believe low frequency distortion is something to worry about. Transformer distortion will be overshadowed by other esl-related problems anyway (resonance, non-uniform membrame motion etc) in the low freq range.

But to answer your question, it will not extend the low frequency limit. The lower bandwidth limit of a practical ESL transformer is not set by distortion problems but by core saturation limits that impose a hard limit on the voltage the transfo can handle at a certain frequency, derating linear with frequency. In addition primairy inductance sets another limit (Zprim must not drop below what the amp can drive @ 20 hz). Whatever comes first sets the limit.
Old 16th May 2006, 06:34 PM   #7
orjan is offline orjan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Well, the primary inductance is only a small signal aproximation. At large signals, close to core saturation, the value decreases.

And, yes, it works. I used it with line level transformers. It extends the usfull, as in some set distorsion value , low frequncy limit.

With transformers you could do as in quad 63s, use 2 for each esl. Then you can have half the voltage ratio.
Old 16th May 2006, 08:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by orjan

With transformers you could do as in quad 63s, use 2 for each esl. Then you can have half the voltage ratio.
That's a good way of doing things but the price you pay is lower primaire inductance as both primaire coils are in parallel and they don't share the same magnetic circuit.

Even better solution is therefore to place the two coil-former from those two tranformers on one core, which can be done by using two coil-formers on a double C-core. To my knowledge this is the best way to make an ESL-transformer.
At least I hope so, I am trying it right now
Old 17th May 2006, 07:39 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes, yes, yes -
and we are all waiting for you, to have grate success -
and tell us all about...
Regards,
Frank

Hide this!Advertise here!