More Linaeum? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2005, 07:20 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default wel

Dan: if you can find a set of Sumo Aria's or either of the Museatex Melior speakers (the small floor standers were the best of those two) you can have a flat planar that uses a point source driven panel. The Highwood Audio driver (uses in those speakers) uses a high strength tight gap motor assembly to drive a 1.25 inch voice coil fixed to the centre of the diaphragm. If you want to build your own you can use a very good mid driver motor and augment the top end with a tweeter. To get the bandwidth we had to use a lot of tweaks on the motor assembly. If you find a damaged set of any of the Highwood Audio speakers I can provide you with a new set of voicecoils.
I should think that a nice line source could be made with available neo magnets and some iron pole plates. If you took the Linaeum idea and uses some ferro fluil in the gap to help stabilize the voicecoil you would have a very nice driver. Play around and see what happens. I also think that a good 360'ish degree driver could be made with the same Lineaum idea with a slightly stiffer diaphragm formed into a cylinder with one vertical end of the diaphragm clamped and the other vertical end of the diaphragm attached to a voicecoil being driven like a single ended Lineaum. Hope that makes sence. Regards Moray James.
Old 12th December 2005, 08:04 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by D Brummitt

dstockwell:

Good luck with DIY electrostats but watch those volts! HAve you tried substituting the cone drivers in the Radio Shack units with something different, better ... doping the originals ... x-over mods & etc. Am sorely tempted to go after my LX-10s.

Regards,
Dan B.
I really would not know where to start, I guess I could go over to the loudspeakers forum and start there, or open them up and take a look.

Hide this!Advertise here!