Repairing bass unit in quad-63--HELP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2005, 04:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Repairing bass unit in quad-63--HELP

Hi,
Having a defective bass unit in my quad-63 I got a repairing kit and fixed the unit.
Every things fine beside it doesn't play music.
I have checked all the connections and I do not know what to do farther.
May be I tension too much or too less the diaphragm, may be too many layers of conductive resistance,
At the first time I connected to the speaker it was noisy some hiss noise and kind of pop corns noise, then I took it off and
stretched it a bit with a heat blower and cleaned the aluminum contact stripes, put it back there was no noise
but no music as well, it is not playing at all. Actually I can't figure out for 100% sure that is playing or not but
getting very close to the speaker and to the repaired unit it looks and sounds that way.
Who thinks can help or had some similar problem will be very helpful.
Best regards
Williams
Old 13th October 2005, 09:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Did you put the conductive side of the film into contact with the metal tape on the stator and did you connect the proper wires everywhere?

When you applied the conductive coating to the diaphragm did you cover the corners with the stuff, so now the screws that mount the driver to the grounded metal side rails are draining the charge off the diaphragm as fast as the bias supply can put it there? The center posts, corners and side edges of the diaphragm should all be masked off before applying the coating to prevent this sort of problem.

If there is insufficient diaphragm tension, when you power up the diaphragm will pull over and stick to one stator or the other, usually hissing. This can be checked by powering off the speaker while playing some music. When enough of the charge drains off, the diaphragm will pop free and start to sing.

I don't think you can get enough tension on the diaphragm for an ESL-63 by heat shrinking. I think you need to tension the film mechanically and glue it to the stator while it is under tension.

I_F
Old 14th October 2005, 11:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I forgot, thanks a lot for your help, it inspire me some things to do, but you were right; there are some clips that
are tighten the two sandwiches together. About four pieces were missing, so tighten with more clips the unit
started to play very nicely. So thanks a lot.
Best regards
Williams

Hide this!Advertise here!