Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2005, 04:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question PVDF film emitter fabrication

Hey all,

This may be a stupid question, but does anyone know how or know of a book or website that can help me in fabricating a PVDF film ultrasonic emitter?

Im designing something for a science fair project and the emitter would need to be about 6" x 6" in size (or a few smaller emitters grouped could work) and would need to be able to produce ultrasonic frequencies beginning at 50KHz upward to about 70KHz.

I have sheets of PVDF and would like to see if I could take them somewhere to get plated with Nickel electrodes.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,
Zach
Old 4th October 2005, 10:55 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

PVDF technology has been passed around like a new fish at the the prison; it's gone through at least four sets of corporate hands in the past 20-25 years. Check the website of whoever owns it these days- I've got literature from the Rohm and Haas and Pennwalt eras. In any case, poled PVDF is nothing profound to use, just get some electrodes on it and drive it with lots of voltage.

To fabricate electrodes, it would be better to buy it pre-metallized- a plating shop won't be able to do it, and using a thick film conductive ink will raise the mass too much for ultrasonic use.

Hide this!Advertise here!