Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2005, 12:30 PM   #1
Pwoida is offline Pwoida  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Impdeance of ESL varying with freq?

Hi
I have been trying to measure the input impdeance of my transformer's primary with my DIY ESL connected at the secondary. I am using a signal generator and a digital true RMS multimeter to measure the input voltage(Vrms) and then the input current(Irms). I then calculate Zin=Vrms/Irms. As expected the impedance has fluctuated wildy with frequency from 120 down to 0.3ohms.

What wasn't expected is the variation of the input impedance with the input voltage and power level. At low frequencies the input impedance appears to decrease quadratically with increasing input voltage. I have gotten similar results at several low frequencies. At high frequencies the input voltage and power doesn't seem to have an effect on the input impedance.

Anyone have any explanations on this behaviour?

Thanks
Pete
Old 2nd September 2005, 12:59 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Could you sketch out a schematic of your test setup? I've got a suspicion...
Old 2nd September 2005, 01:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've never attached a picture before but hope this works.

I'm a little suspicious of internal resistance or something the multimeter may change?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg measuring technique.jpg (40.4 KB, 248 views)
Old 2nd September 2005, 01:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here is another sketch showing the trend in impedance as a function of input voltage and as a function of input power. I also included a sketch of input power as a function of Vin since it wasn't immediately obvious to me that the two graphs agreed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg impedance trend.jpg (16.6 KB, 208 views)
Old 2nd September 2005, 02:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

OK, what you want to do is to use a series precision resistor between the amp and the speaker. Derive the current from the voltage drop across the resistor.
Old 2nd September 2005, 02:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I know of this method but what was wrong witht he one I was using? How are these results explained?
Old 3rd September 2005, 05:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

As you have discovered the impedance at any given frequency is a function of many factors. I THINK the variation with power that occurs at low frequencies is because the amount of power coupled to the air is a larger (smaller?) fraction of the total power dissipated. You are not the first person to have seen this behavior. The attached image is from the Quad ESL-63 service manual.

Are you doing these measurements with DC bias applied to the diaphragms? I think you will find the impedance changes if you turn the bias on and off.

The meter has a precision resistor inside it (called a shunt, used when measuring current), so the only reason to use an external resistor is if your meter is more accurate at reading voltage than current. I would not expect the resistance of the shunt to change during your tests.

I_F
Attached Images
File Type: jpg esl63_manual06.jpg (40.2 KB, 187 views)
Old 3rd September 2005, 07:20 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have been testing with the bias supply on so the ESL makes noise. I will test with it off and after long enough for most of the charge to leak away. I will also compare the two testing methods.

I was not confident with my results because the amp I use has two 32Vrms secondary windings giving rails of about +/- 45VDC which should mean the maximum Vrms measured at its output was 45/sqrt(2)=32Vrms(unsurprisingly!) but I got a reading of 44Vrms??? Any ideas?

This variation with power level makes it very difficult to design an amplifier for low frequencies since I don't know the impedance it will drive. If the impedance trend continues as voltage increases the impedance will be very very low with the voltages I am planning to apply.
Old 3rd September 2005, 10:32 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pwoida
I know of this method but what was wrong witht he one I was using? How are these results explained?
Much of this difference may be something simple like your meter changing ranges- that causes the internal resistance of the meter to change. The quasi constant current method (using a constant series resistor) avoids those errors and is much more accurate.
Old 3rd September 2005, 02:33 PM   #10
orjan is offline orjan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Post #8
I have been testing with the bias supply on so the ESL makes noise. I will test with it off and after long enough for most of the charge to leak away.
Hi,

Measuring with bias off will change the impedance because of the negative capacitance that comes from the membrane being charged.

örjan

Hide this!Advertise here!