ESL vs jordan fullrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I was almost sure the speaker pair I'm going to build this winter is Jordan jx92s in a transmission line boxes....But now I heared about the posibility of building ESL speakers at home enviroment. :)

Making the panels itself looks like easy task.But I'm conserned about the electrical part.I do not have the skills(not yet anyway) to make anything electrical without the "drawings".

I have two questions for now:

1. Has anyone made a decent pair of ESL speakers without skills for designing electrical stuf like crossovers?

2. How about the sound of DIY ESL compared to Jordans,I have heared that the Jordans souds great in a transmission line enclosure?

thanks

What about a kit?

You can purchase a complete kit from these folks (and others) http://www.eraudio.com.au//
You can also glean a lot of useful information at The Audio Circuit at this address http://www.audiocircuit.com/index.php# there are lots of designs there. You should be able to find something that is of interest. Best regards good luck and have fun Moray James.

Thanks for all the help :)

I think the ESL project is too much for me to handle right now.
My small room and new amplifier may not be very helpful with ESL:s.

But who knows,maybe my next speaker project someday shall be with electrostatic speakers,it's always good to have dreams;)

ESL from scratch

Desconhecia que em Portugal havia alguém interessado em
construir electrostácticos....

I wasn't aware that in Portugal there was somebody interested
in building ESL from scratch....

My advise is "Go for it", it's a lot of fun (and frustation too) but
at the very end you'll get a Rolls Royce, not a Toyotta...

Não desista desse projecto homem, garanto-lhe que vale a pena!

Don't give it up, It's worthed I assure you!

Re: ESL from scratch

jmateus said:
Desconhecia que em Portugal havia alguém interessado em
construir electrostácticos....

I wasn't aware that in Portugal there was somebody interested
in building ESL from scratch....

My advise is "Go for it", it's a lot of fun (and frustation too) but
at the very end you'll get a Rolls Royce, not a Toyotta...

Não desista desse projecto homem, garanto-lhe que vale a pena!

Don't give it up, It's worthed I assure you!

Olá jmateus

I had to give up for now.My new amplifier may not play the electrostatics and my room is limited in space with the existing hometheater speakers.
I started the project with Jordans,with narrow enclosures near the side walls they may just fit into my room nicely.

Building the electrostatics sounds still very tempting.Let's say ,now I have about 10 years to learn the electronics before starting my new speaker project.......;)

Cumprimentos

Reactions: 1 user
I understand, the sole fact that you dare to think about building
ESL scares you. It is a common feeling, I myself had the same
thought when I tryied to get my bits together to embark in
such a project. But don't let these thoughts discourage you....

Another thing is the knowledge of electronics you're supposed
to have. I don't think so, you only need to know how to solder
the rest comes with the help of somebody willing to hep you. To
make the panels you don't need to know electronics, more
mechanics than anythingelse...and above all common sense.
If you decide or when you decide to go ahead with the project
I'm sure in this forum there are people more than happy to
help you, including myself.

By the way, I own a Toyotta.....

I agree go for it now

I agree with John go for it now. Build yourself a set of speakers. You can make a simple design and see what ESL's are all about. You will never have more available help at hand to get you over any rough spots. This is really a mechanical construction project. You don't need to know the how and why of every aspect of ESL's just to build a set. Waiting ten years will not help you much. Good luck and give it a go! Best regards Moray James.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.