How thick for MYLAR??? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2005, 03:15 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

That tape is good for putting them together quickly and getting something working, but I don't like to have to repair things every year or two. When I make them, I want them to work for the next 20 years. That is why I have always avoided that tape (except for a friends science fair project I helped with). I have also always avoided woofers that have foam surrounds. You KNOW what happens to those...

I talked with an apps guy at 3M about 10 years ago and he sent me a sample of scotchgrip 4693 contact cement which is a low surface energy material. The surface of the polyester film is of a moderate surface energy so it needs a low energy glue to properly wet the surface of the film and form a bond. Most glues are higher surface energy than the polyester so the polyester doesn't get wetted and form bonds well.

I tested the cement before building drivers with it and found that the film tore before the glue let go. As far as I can tell, the stuff is permanent. Those 10 year old drivers are working fine with no apparent loss of the high mechanical tension I put on them using the pneumatic stretcher.

I am looking for a source for a small quantity of that glue. There is a thicker version of it called 4693H that comes in 5 oz tubes, but it is an industrial product and no one wants to sell less than a case of 36 tubes.

I_F
Old 29th August 2005, 09:51 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default use automotive grade

There are several types of 2 sided tape. The stuff that I_Forgot says will crumble is most likely a lower grade without UV protection. I sell automotive supplies(to body shops) and the 2 sided 3M tape for this use is UV protected. I've had moldings and such attached with this tape for 8-10yrs and cannot remember it ever falling off. As far as for speaker use , I will tell you that I'm rebuilding a pair of Electrostatic Research speakers (built in 1996), and they were contructed with this type of tape(no spacers , just tape) and there was zero crumbling. In fact I needed to heat the stators just to get the glue to loosen up , and even than it was still intact. I'm only repairing them because of abuse from the 1st owner. If you are really anla about such things, purchase the urethane grade 2 sided tape(no foam). That should ease your mind. .062(1/16") works very well(either type). Between this tape method and LICRON spray , assembly is a snap. I used these items with Partsexpress Pro speaker grills, mentioned on this site some time back , to great result. I can now assemble a panel in less than a hour.
Old 30th August 2005, 02:59 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Can you provide part number for that tape?

Thanks,

I_F
Old 30th August 2005, 03:46 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default 3M 2 sided tape

Foam tape (white) in 1/2"&3/4" X 1/16" are #'s 06453 & 06454. These are 36 yard rolls. Urethane type in 1/2" X .045 is # 06382. This is a 20 yard roll. They also have this in .030 , #06380. I have used the white foam 1/2" with good results , mainly because of the roll size. You would be surprised how much tape you go through when making ESL's. The speaker I'm rebuilding used this same type(10 yrs old). Hope that helps.
Old 30th August 2005, 04:25 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Good info! Thanks!

I_F
Old 30th August 2005, 09:55 PM   #16
wrl is offline wrl  United States
diyAudio Member

The stuff I used is listed here:

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/...-Foam-Tape.htm

I'm not sure on the manufacturer number though.

-Wes
Old 12th October 2005, 02:46 AM   #17
Loris is offline Loris  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Do you know where the "urethane grade 2 sided tape(no foam)" can be found ?

I did some research, but the only thing I was able to found was the "Urethane tape Foam".

Thanks,
Loris
Old 17th October 2005, 05:26 PM   #18
furly is offline furly  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to furly
Default 0.045" enough??

Do you guys think that 0.045" is thick enough? That is relatively considerably thinner then 1/16" (0.0625"). What would be a safe max. width for a panel using this? or at what distance should extra support spacing be used?

furly
Old 17th October 2005, 06:06 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I would think that would be enough spacing as long as your not trying to reproduce below 150 - 200 HZ.
Old 17th October 2005, 10:15 PM   #20
jmateus is offline jmateus  United States
diyAudio Member

Default STUFF FOR SPACERS

I use PVC material for spacers all the time.
It is imune to humidity, temperature, virtually imune to everything.
It's the best material for the spacers.
Want to buy some of it ?

Hide this!Advertise here!