Ribbon Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a new member and this is my first thread.

I am conducting research on neurophysiology and am in need of a tweeter that will reproduce signals up to around 60khz. So far I have looked at the LCY 108's and 110's.

I know that ribbon or planar tweeters will be the way to go, but I am looking for something considerably less then $200 a speaker.

I need some suggestions.

berr4880 said:
I'm a new member and this is my first thread.

I am conducting research on neurophysiology and am in need of a tweeter that will reproduce signals up to around 60khz. So far I have looked at the LCY 108's and 110's.

I know that ribbon or planar tweeters will be the way to go, but I am looking for something considerably less then $200 a speaker.

I need some suggestions.

why not build your own???

are you looking for wide bandwith or for just something capable of 60khz?

if the latter... you can just build say a .25" wide ribbon mount magnets on steel and apply AC signal via amplifier

the smaller the ribbon is the better for what you're trying to achieve.. shoot for .1" if you can

also I'm fairly sure the LCY's can't reproduce 60khz very well

I would probibly make my own except...

I need 3-4 of them.

I am actually an undergraduate research assistant at OU so I am not spending my money. There is a budget.

I would love to make my own for my own diy speakers, but money and time are in high demand when a full time engineering student with a wife and a 20-30 hour a week job. :) I have mainly been doing car audio work but I am getting more and more into various audio projects.

berr4880 said:
I would probibly make my own except...

I need 3-4 of them.

I am actually an undergraduate research assistant at OU so I am not spending my money. There is a budget.

I would love to make my own for my own diy speakers, but money and time are in high demand when a full time engineering student with a wife and a 20-30 hour a week job. :) I have mainly been doing car audio work but I am getting more and more into various audio projects.

I don't know of any "ribbon" besides the LCY supertweeter that would even have the possibilty of hitting 60khz with any sort of volume

berr,

A bit more clarity about your intended use would be helpful. I can't believe one of OU's professors cannot tell you several ways to produce 60kHz.

The decision is which one will suit your intended purpose. If price is the primary criteria and you just need something that will do 60 kHz (and not 2 kHz to 60 kHz), then a tuned (mass loaded) transducer would be very cheap. As an ultrasonic tuned system you could activate it with a piezo element.

Mark

TAD makes the device of choice for ultrasonic tweeter applications. Goes out to 100kHz for real.

As far as a <$200 device that covers from audible to 60 khz., I think ur out of luck.

As mentioned, if you only need tones or narrow band emission in the ultra sonic range, then you can use the ultrasonic transducers that are used in various sorts of rangefinders and motion detectors...

Use the Web Luke, use the Web! ;)

_-_-bear

We have to be able to cover a wide range of high frequencies. I'd say around 2k through 60k so a tweeter of some sort is definately a possibility. We currently have a piezo that will run up to 32k but to make our experiment more accurate and more detailed we need something to make some noise at 60k.

ESL maybe?

With ultra thin mylar you might get 60K from an ESL. Films are available to one micron. Others here can comment on this. Thin films can be found in film/foil capacitors. Probably on the order of 3-5 microns at the thinnest.
You might also look to Engineering society journals for ribbon tweeter design and ribbon microphone designs. The was an article I think in the JAES on a clyndrical ribbon designed to reproduce up to about 80K for use in scale acoustics design of auditoriums back in the 70-80's. Used a donut speaker magnet slug with a couple of steel disks for pole pieces a layer of foam or felt around the outside edge of the magnet and a very thin aluminum foil strip for the ribbon. Dont recall if they used a transformer or not. Take a look in the best of audio compolation JAES I think I saw it there. Good luck Moray James.

60khz tweeter

I use Preseq Horns obtained using safepullcoltd@aol.com
who have a research company that manufactures Perseq Horns to play a range from 15Hz to 60kHz with 1/4 wave length generation and diffraction to equalize the pressure of driver to atmospheric pressure and if use of a microphone is employed to verify the accuracy it is then expensive but Preseq Horns can supply a driver 10kHz to 60khZ but without the divice of 1/4 wave length generation and diffraction to equalize the pressure driver to atmospheric pressure then it can be below $200.00

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.