New idea: Make a thick ribbon thinner - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2005, 12:48 PM   #1
APi is offline APi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default New idea: Make a thick ribbon thinner

I just came up with an idea I havenīt seen before.

Materials for thin ribbons are hard to find and handle. Why just not use thicker materials and after a ribbon has been cut, then make it thinner?

You can use acid like ferric chloride. Test how long it takes to dissolve you foil totally. Then just calculate how much it takes to have right thickness. Put a cut ribbon into liquid, wait exactly the right time and take it out. Wash gently in slightly caustic water to neutralize pH on the ribbon.

While I personally do laminates, thought to do the same thing for them. But itīs harder.

You can slide a laminate over some kind of grinder with constant speed and have exactly right tension. After each turn measure thickness. Or then just have an area which has been grinded more and stop when it wears out. You should have an (self-made) equipment to do that but in theory this is possible.
Old 8th August 2005, 02:23 PM   #2
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
that is a good idea. I have no way to comment further just though i would show support!
thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!