Paralelling trannies - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2005, 02:19 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tade

my project thusfar is a complete failure.
Laugh if you feel the urge.
Never! Failed experiments are where you learn the most. The only difference between an amateur and a pro is the pro doesn't let anyone know about their failures. Do you think Edison came up with a working lightbulb on his first attempt?

As a side note, it is a common misconception that an inventor invents something himself out of thin air. The vast majority of inventions are based on previous work by other people, and usually there is a team of people working on the new invention. Edison did not invent the light bulb. He came up with the idea (though others probably had the idea before him) and hired a bunch of guys to test materials suitable for the filament. They tested thousands of materials before they came up with one that was suitable for commercial use. Dean Kamen didn't design the Segway, even though his name is on the patents. He hired a bunch of engineers to design the various subsystems and put the whole thing together. There were two wheeled self balancing robots long before there was a Segway.

Quote:
Using these small xfrms as a voltage swing, and the high voltage supply ganked from a one time use camera flash, i got sound out of my speaker, which is awesome! A proof of concept. After about five seconds with my amp maxed out, barely audible, the transformer melted. fun.
You needed to turn the amp up high because the voltage provided by the camera flash is very low compared to what you need to bias an ESL. Those supplies are good for about 200-300V. You need 2000-5000V for an ESL. What sort of stator spacing did you use? 3-4 mm is about all you need. If you go larger than that you'll have a hard time getting decent volume out of your speaker no matter what bias level and transformer/amp you use.

Quote:
i got my hands on some vacuum tubes. i think one of em is a tube with two triodes in it. are tubes as easy to do as heat up the emitter, and apply a voltage to the gate?
can i use the tube to modulate the output of the flash circuit, +-200v?
There's a little more to it than that! Even if it were that simple, a couple hundred volts AC drive isn't enough to get useful volume from an ESL (except a headphone). You need 2000 VAC or more to drive an ESL to decent volume.

I suggest you get an old copy of the ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook and look up vacuum tube circuits. That will give you a good intro. Also, on alt.binaries.e-book.technical there have recently been some posts of US Navy electronics training manuals. At least one of them has stuff on vacuum tubes. Directly driving ESLs from tubes is very difficult. In fact, directly driving ESLs from anything is difficult.

I_F
Old 24th June 2005, 04:59 PM   #12
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
great post, i will do some reading!
Old 26th June 2005, 02:06 AM   #13
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
well, seems i am using substantially too little voltage. i dont suppose anyone has a pair of transformers which would fit the bill? My diaphram spacing is about three mm.
I would like to Purchase a pair from someone which will make fine loudspeakers. They might be ones which distort the sound to a point which you find offensive but which will certainly sound lovely to me.
Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!