Dynapleat - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2005, 02:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dynapleat

Hi folks,

I have a dozen of "Dynapleat" (aprox 5" X 5") planar drivers. Does anybody know them? and does someone have some plans about how to use them?
Old 19th June 2005, 11:49 PM   #2
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Yes.

These were developed as a surface mount auto speaker originally.
Used by some asian mfrs in "high-end" speakers (or so they said).

Interesting drivers... just use them and see how you like them... obviously good where limited mounting space is available - can be rear loaded somewhat because there are holes in the back of the units...

Dunno what else to say about them.

_-_-bear
Old 20th June 2005, 03:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Dynapleats

Hi there,

One or two years ago, I saw a site with "high end" speakers built with them. There were arrays of these drivers, and some were much smaller in size than mines, (tweeters I suppose) I've been told the 5" ones were covering something like 150hz up to 20000 ?

I'll have to try them and see. It's just that projects are time and energy consuming. So, I prefered going by asking first on the net, "does anybody know them?"

I'd be curious to see how they sound when back loaded, compared to dipole.

For now, I have just plugged them in open air, and as is, they had very low sensitivity, and a not so extended treble, and of course, no bass.

Thanks for answering
Old 23rd June 2005, 07:10 PM   #4
spyder6 is offline spyder6  United States
diyAudio Member

several years ago ,maybe '91 to '93 speaker builder magazine had afeature article usind these drivers, also parts express used to sell them, you might find osmeone on their forum who knows more about them, oh by the way the parameters were in the old parts express catalouge.
Old 23rd June 2005, 11:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

http://ldsg.snippets.org/ALSR/dynaplt.html

http://ldsg.snippets.org/ALSR/sizecomp.html
Old 24th June 2005, 01:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Links

Thanks for the links.

I have tried to find info and projects about these cheap drivers and could not find anything.

Doesn't seem to be a very popular item.. Too bad, they are very intriguing.
Old 6th February 2009, 08:58 PM   #7
des1a is offline des1a  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Dynapleat revival

Sorry if it's bad form to bring back this old thread, but I'm a new member and have been browsing through the pages and saw this. Hopefully, you still have your Dynapleats in a box somewhere and have an interest in experimenting.

I also bought a number of Dynapleats and built what I consider to be an excellent (nearly) full-range dipole radiator with them. If the links work, you can see a picture of the panel with and without the grille cloth.

http://www.la-tierra.net/abq8/speakers/planar1.jpg
http://www.la-tierra.net/abq8/speakers/planar2.jpg

There are actually 4 Dynapleats per channel. Each one you see is backed by another behind which is spaced 1/4" away with open-cell damping foam between. They are wired so that they operate as a coupled dipole radiator.

I used this approach after reading an article in a 1994 Speakerbuilder article by Charles Pike in which he installed a linear array in a cabinet. He measured a driver resonance at 2.5kHz which he removed with a simple trap filter. I decided to control the resonance through my damping/coupling technique and I dont measure or hear any resonance in the finished speaker, so I believe it is successful approach.

I use the Dynapleats essentially full-range. I biamp and cross the panel in at 55Hz from a compound woofer. I roll off the Dynapleats at the high end and cross over to the Fostex spiral ribbon tweeter you see between them. The sound is very open and revealing and I prefer it to the small Magneplanars I was using for a while before them. Imaging of voices and instruments is superb.
Old 7th February 2009, 04:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Dynapleat, the Sequel.. he he.

Hi there, audio friend.

Yep, I still have these Dynapleats. 12 of them. Since I could not find usefull infos about them, I never bothered to build anything.

A small dipole could be interesting for my small living room. I listen at low level, so, I imagine it could be done, I mean, integrating 6 drivers per side + a tweeter + a dipole sub?

About this article in Speakerbuilder, can it be found on the net? If you have more pics about the complete speaker, and the project, I'm interested.

Sylvain
Old 8th February 2009, 01:51 AM   #9
des1a is offline des1a  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How to proceed?

I'm not sure I know how this forum works. I've tried posting 2 replies earlier and they just disappear. I hope this one works.

I looked for the 1994 Speakerbuilder article online but did not find it, though it's mentioned elsewhere. I also have a review of the VMPS FF-3 speakers which use 2 Dynapleats for the midrange (VMPS calls them Dynaribbons). It was in Audio magazine in March 1997, reviewed by Anthony Cordesman. The review was extremely favorable (in fact I found that Cordesman bought the review speakers for his personal use) with a lot of praise for the quality of the midrange. If you can find the Audio in a library or somewhere, I think it will encourage you.

I found my design details for the coupled-dipole panels I built and I'll be happy to share them with you. It's an exceptionally easy system to build since there's no enclosure, though I'm sure you'll want to augment the Dynapleats with a subwoofer as I did and probably a tweeter too. I use them in a small listening room, but I believe they're capable of high SPLs. They're actually reasonably efficient.

I don't know whether I should post the details in this thread to share with others or if that becomes too tedious. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 8th February 2009, 03:32 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Dynapleat

Hello, me again.
Have no fears, this audio forum is about sharing our findings. If you have the time and energy to put more details, images about your project, measurements and so on, feel free to do so.

I've tried to email you directly, but it seems that you have disabled this function. I think you can email me directly though.

I'll try to get the box of Dynapleats out.. I've seen it last week.. by chance.

Sylvain

Hide this!Advertise here!