just to shake things up - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2005, 10:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default just to shake things up

How about building some ESL panels sideways with 100% solid flat insulated stator plates? They will require that one edge on either side of the diaphragm be left open so the air can escape when compressed by the diaphragm (front side/back side). You could run multiple sets side by side to boost output. You could even use this idea to make an electrostatic compression driver. Any thoughts??? Regards Moray James.
Old 3rd June 2005, 10:26 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'm not clear on your description. Any chance you could do a very quick sketch?
Old 3rd June 2005, 10:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default I'am no artist

Sy: imagine that the stator plates are powder coated steel (solid flat). Now we have a diaphragm in the middle of 1/16 inch stator spacers(1/8 inch PP). If the unit is 4 inches deep by 36 inches long you will need to leave out two of the long stator spacers. One on the front (long) edge of the panel the other long one on the back (long) edge of the panel. The missing spacers will have to be on opposite sides of the diaphragm. So while the air is being squeezed out the front side of the panel on one side of the diaphragm it is also sucked in at the back side of the panel on the opposite side of the diaphragm. Does that make sence? Efficiency should be a high as it can get given solid stators with insulation. My only concern is air turbulance as the air compressed by the diaphragm is forced to exit/entre the unit via a gap only 1/16 of an inch by 36 inches long. Are ya with me? Regards Moray James.
Old 3rd June 2005, 11:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

If I follow you, you've got a situation where two out of phase wavefronts are spaced 4 inches apart. Or am I still not getting it?
Old 3rd June 2005, 11:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Wish I could draw

Sy: this simply a regular ESL but with solid non acoustically transparent stators. So the sound can only come out if you put a hole somewhere. Turn the speaker sideways (so you are looking at it on edge) leave out just one stator spacer on each side of the panel on opposite sides of the diaphragm. So we are looking at the edge of the panel and one spacer on one side of the diahragm is missing and the opposite spacer on the opposits side at the back of the panel. So the diaphragm moves to the right and pushes air out the front edge of the panel while it sucks air in on the back of the panel on the opposite side of the diaphragm. Does that make any better sence? This is like a bad English comprehension test. Regards Moray James.
Old 4th June 2005, 12:02 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

That's what I thought. So you do have two out of phase wavefronts 4 inches apart. That's a problem. Another problem could potentially be turbulence in the cavity under hard drive.
Old 4th June 2005, 12:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Any way you build it

Sy: I figure that any way you build a dipole you have out of phase waves from front side to back. So what's the difference? Am I missing something here? Could make a cool compression driver. I agree that turbulance could be a problem that was my first concern. Could build a hot damn line source tweeter though no trouble. Very wide dispersion. For horn loading very easy to set panel FS to match the horn. what do you think? Regards Moray James.
Old 4th June 2005, 12:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Clairifacation

Sy: perhaps I should have said 4 inches deep. The idea is to have just one edge of the panel fireing forward with the opposite (back) edge fireing backward. Does that get us both on the same page? That way if you wanted more output you could laminate a bunch of these side by side by side to yield a combined output in a lateral stack of an inch or two wide. That should have a lot of air moveing. I suppose that you could control the depth to offset turbulance. Just a twist on the conventional format.
Built in a single panel configuration and used as a tweeter you could have a high output tweeter in a line source a 1/16 if an inch wide as long as you like. That should provide excellent dispersion. Enough output to keep up to a horn mid and or bass horn. Regards Moray James.
Old 4th June 2005, 01:03 AM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Pssst... Moray

SY are his initials

Cal
Old 4th June 2005, 01:23 AM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Cal, I'm not a bug about capitalization. A regular ee cummings, that's me.

Moray, physically, the situation is different than with a flat planar dipole. It seems to me that you've got interference between the part of the diaphragm closest to the listener and the part farthest away. And that lag will always be 4" times speed of sound.

Hide this!Advertise here!