just to shake things up - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2005, 01:47 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Well

you could simply put the whole thing int a baffle flush at the front side. would seem that most dynamic drivers are 3-4 inches deep anyway. the baffle could slant/fold back to the back side of the panel like a triangle.
well I like SY it's a good name with a good sound, never met a woman who made that sound that I did not like. Initials are supposed to have periods are they not? God just like ...... never mind. If SY wants me to use his name he will tell me his name. There are ways around the terbulance issue but they mka the structure a little more conplicated. Heils squeeze a lot of air too but not over such a big area. Might just have to build one of these to find out how bad the wind noise would be. Regards MJC
Old 4th June 2005, 02:08 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Well

Quote:
Originally posted by moray james
you could simply put the whole thing int a baffle flush at the front side. would seem that most dynamic drivers are 3-4 inches deep anyway. the baffle could slant/fold back to the back side of the panel like a triangle.
well I like SY it's a good name with a good sound, never met a woman who made that sound that I did not like. Initials are supposed to have periods are they not? God just like ...... never mind. If SY wants me to use his name he will tell me his name. There are ways around the terbulance issue but they mka the structure a little more conplicated. Heils squeeze a lot of air too but not over such a big area. Might just have to build one of these to find out how bad the wind noise would be. Regards MJC

lol I guess I got ya thinking huh?

I believe the attached pic is your idea no?

the compressed waves should be the same exiting times if the diaphragm is centered... is should work like a dipole horn... shouldn't it?
Attached Images
File Type: gif esl horn.gif (6.8 KB, 151 views)
Old 4th June 2005, 02:10 AM   #13
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Call me anything you like- you've got lots of good ideas and aren't afraid to throw them around.

I'm thinking that if you made the slot shallower (say an inch), you'd push the interference frequency out of the midrage. Couple that slot to a horn and maybe you've got something.
Old 4th June 2005, 02:12 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Call me anything you like- you've got lots of good ideas and aren't afraid to throw them around.

I'm thinking that if you made the slot shallower (say an inch), you'd push the interference frequency out of the midrage. Couple that slot to a horn and maybe you've got something.
this design is not to be with a lense... all that I would use would be a small turbulence reducing quarter or half round wood trim...

IMO it SHOULD be somewhat like a horn loaded ribbon... but much more powerful
Old 4th June 2005, 03:08 PM   #15
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Umm, I posted to another thread where you brought this up...

Interesting idea.

But if the spacing between the stator and diaphragm is 1/4 wave at some freq of interest, problems...

I thought you were aiming for firing out the small end (usually the bottom or top) of the cell! No?

Out the side?

It's got to create compression or else you'll have interference issues in the cell area... if the transition from the slot out the air isn't 1:1 impedance, you'll get a reflection problem (problems). Turbulence isn't the main problem.

Also if you use more than one cell, the "dead" area between cells will be an issue... that distance between.

As far as it being "more powerful" than the same cell firing normally? How could it? Only if it creates compression and that compression is then transformed from a high strength small motion to a low strength large motion (horn, etc...) I would expect.

Sy, I would think that IF the unit was compressing and there were no "1/4 wave" resonant issues that there would not be a "transit time" issue from the front to the back of the cell area since the air volume would act like a single viscous "object" and there would be no travelling wave to propagate?? (think "bubble/balloon??)

_-_-bear
Old 4th June 2005, 04:28 PM   #16
Urban is offline Urban  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi

The basic idea is nice. If you would stack the cells (as you describe them) from floor to celing , you would get a near perfect line-source. As the width of the speaker is very small, the transient responce will not be "smeared" in the horizontal plane.

However...

The cells would have a hard time pressing out air through the sides of the panel, at least at high volume and at low frequency. Using this priciple for mid to high frequencies might possibly work though. If the width of the output slit could be held very narrow (less than 1/2") it would prevent high frequency beaming.

There is another guy how has thougt along these lines before. He put the cells (flat side to the listner) and used an acustic-lens in front of the cells to guide the sound vaves to a more narrow width, creating the same effect. Read more here:

http://www.beveridge-audio.com/White_Paper.htm

/Urban
Old 4th June 2005, 06:45 PM   #17
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

This is not correct, afaik.

The Beveridge uses a standard ESL cell, the same sort of flat perf metal cell that is common. The difference is that Beveridge uses an acoustic lens in front of the cell that produces a broad band 180 degree dispersion.

The amount of compression is minimal, and is mostly due the requirement that the path length along the lens is equal to maintain phase so that the polar response is even at HF.

1/2" width, imho would be too wide for even polar response, you'd get a nasty comb filter effect at some audible frequency.

_-_-bear
Old 5th June 2005, 02:00 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Smoke innnnnnnnn

Saw Jim Carey for the first time in the Mask last night. Had to laugh. Smart dog. Got to love the way he got the whole Police dept. to dance in the square like that. God what I'd give to be able to dance like that. Good dancers always get the babes. They never tell you that in grade school do they?! Regards Moray James.

Hide this!Advertise here!