Gilmore - hows it done? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2005, 08:15 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I picked up a recent copy of Absolute Sound (I think) because it had an article on the Gilmores. I was hoping to find out what a "planar dynamic hybrid woofer" was.

The article was pretty light on details with few pictures and was pretty much a fluff piece. However, the reviewer very politely pointed out that the ribbon had a ragged response that Gilmore was still trying to fix.

If I remember correctly, the ribbon is really a planar magnetic tweeter.

The Glacier site is devoid of any detail save Corian samples. No crossover specs listed. I'm just scratching the surface of dipoles but it seems that you could use a passive 6dB/oct low pass at or just above the woofers' Fs to deal with dipole cancellation and a second low pass to crossover to the ribbon. This same concept models well using Brian Steele's dipole workseet.

I think all the superlatives that people pour onto this speaker should be attributed to Carver (and Bohlender), Selmer, Linkwitz, and others who have championed the benefits of dipoles along with JBL, Dr. Jim Griffin, and others who have developed better understanding line arrays.
Old 1st June 2005, 09:03 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Found a little bit of info on the crossover from Positive Feedback:

Quote:
Our crossover is a two-way, fourth-order Linkwitz-Reiley design.
Carver, Apogee mentioned multiple times.

Lots of mispellings in that article.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd June 2005, 06:12 AM   #13
amt is offline amt  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, its not a new idea but seems that its well implemented if all the specs are for real. I checked B-G and 88db is what they get out of their drivers. So Im not sure how he manages to gain 3db. Im thinking that a RD50 and 4 Peerless 12" XLS would be a good approximation.But Ive read that the B-Gs really sound their best if not crossed too low. Over 500hz was mentioned. Not sure how a high excursion woofer sounds up there.

Im still most interested in the fact that no active xo or equilizing is used. And 91.5db

amt

Hide this!Advertise here!