new technology - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2005, 06:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Chris8sirhC
Default new technology

I was wondering if anybody else has seen this yet new soundwave less speaker do you think it would be possible to have an audiphile version??
Old 2nd May 2005, 10:37 PM   #2
sardonx is offline sardonx  Canada
diyAudio Member

A brain melting device!! heheh....

Wow.. i'd like to see some of this guy's other inventions. That AirScooter is amazing.... I only fly things like that in weird dreams that i have while i sleep. Quite often actually.. lol

He is going to be a rich man....
Old 3rd May 2005, 08:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I wonder how he could get a patent for this device at all since the idea isn't that new.
I could imagine that such devices might be useful for special announcement systems but I wouldn't use someting like that for listening to music (I wonder why he used white noise and not music for his demo !).

Furthermore the effect of loud ultrasonics on human hearing is not fully known yet.

Regards

Charles
Old 3rd May 2005, 08:26 PM   #4
sardonx is offline sardonx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Furthermore the effect of loud ultrasonics on human hearing is not fully known yet.
That's why i said brain melting device. The whole idea does seem a little sketchy.
Old 3rd May 2005, 09:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

"...The emitter — an aluminum square — was hooked up by a wire to a CD player. Norris switched on the CD player..."

Just for a laugh, I wonder how can any transducer which is hooked to a cd player produce ultrasonic frequencies, when cd red book standard is 22000 Hz max. ( 20000 HZ practically).

It is a fact that musical instruments produce frequencies and harmonics which are far beyond "the limits" of human hearing, but most attempts to include those frequencies on systems for replaying recorded music were usually regarded to as "audiophile snake oil".

There is really no such thing called "AN INVENTOR"
An inventor is a person who finds a way to reproduce and control a natural phenomenal : ultrasonics had always influenced the way we here music, but it was never really clear exactly how : We should hope that such inventions as Mr. Norris "Soundless Sound System" will help finding answers.
Old 3rd May 2005, 09:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I guess he produces an ultrasonic frequency (as a carrier wave) that is modulated by audio frequency - but really - something like that was talked about already four or five years ago - a fully directional speaker.
Old 3rd May 2005, 11:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That's exactly how he does it. I think you’re referring the same technology you heard about several years ago – they’ve been at this for a while now. If you wanted to reproduce a 1000Hz sine wave, you’d transmit an ultrasonic beam at a higher carrier frequency; say 200,000Hz and one at 201,000 Hz. The beams are of very high intensity and make use of the non-linearity of air at very high pressures to heterodyne or mix the two ultrasonic tones, producing sum and difference tones, one at 1000Hz that you can hear and one at 401,000Hz that you probably can’t. Just like AM radio. I have read concerns about the safety of long-term exposure to high intensity ultrasounds (and these must be extremely intense to achieve enough non-linear response in the air for efficient heterodyning). And we know nothing about the linearity (distortion) of the baseband audio products.

Check out their website at www.atcsd.com
Old 4th May 2005, 12:44 AM   #8
angel is offline angel  Norway
diyAudio Member

Just curious..

Is it possible to use an ultrasound horn to gain efficiency? If so, you could conceivably use a line array in a very small horn to generate some very impressive highly-localized subwoofer effects
Old 4th May 2005, 03:07 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Chris8sirhC
.... aimed directly at a persons bowels...
Old 4th May 2005, 07:28 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I don't know how one wants to move such large amounts of air by the use of ULTRAsonics that it is possible to shake your bowels at INFRAsonic frequencies.

BTW: The first time I read about such an ultrasonic "speaker thingie" was at least twenty years ago.

Regards

Charles

Hide this!Advertise here!