Using a ribbon tweeter with an active crossover - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2005, 09:13 PM   #11
sardonx is offline sardonx  Canada
diyAudio Member

I want to pair them up with a pair of 7" scanspeak revelators. My primary goal was to actually build a 2 way speaker utilizing the revelator and a ribbon... so the LCY seemed like an almost perfect choice.. the sensetivity is not that far off, and they can apparently take a 2K crossover without trouble. Which is perfect because the lower i can cross the revelator, the happier I am. 1.4K would be ideal for me but i doubt that's doable with the LCY and i just can't spend thousands for a SA, or R-3. I have to wait to get the LCY and SS anyway.

I realize that the crossover point may not be the best. I was actually contemplating going for a Fostex fe206e with one 12" Volt driver for the sub frequences (also active x-over) but I've never had a chance to hear a nice high efficiency full range setup so I don't know what i'm getting into. I'm very interested in trying it but i have a soft spot for 2 way monitors that can do bass. Hence why i wanna build the SS/LCY.

I have a pair of PSB monitors that sound very natural to me and are crossed over around 2.5 k i'm guessing.
Old 2nd May 2005, 10:58 PM   #12
hermanv is offline hermanv  United States
diyAudio Member

Default More than one Tranformer?

One transformer and only one is needed to prevent DC from reaching the ribbon tweeter.

It doesn't matter if this is an added transformer, built into the tweeter or built into the power amplifier, all will block DC all will prevent that particular problem.
Old 2nd May 2005, 11:10 PM   #13
Banned

Default Re: More than one Tranformer?

In my experiance ribbon tweeters can be destroyed from simple things when connected to an amplifier without a passive network. Turning an amp on or off with the speaker connected can waste the ribbon, so can a dropped needle, or a loose connection to the amp. Even a loose tube socket. These have all happened to me and ended up with ripped aluminum. Care must be taken or you will surely have problems. The transformer is there to provide a drivable load to the amp- not to protect the ribbon.

Quote:
Originally posted by hermanv
One transformer and only one is needed to prevent DC from reaching the ribbon tweeter.

It doesn't matter if this is an added transformer, built into the tweeter or built into the power amplifier, all will block DC all will prevent that particular problem.
Old 2nd May 2005, 11:43 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Ok.. I see now that i must have a cap there!

I just saw the new Fountek ribbons... I might be able to cross the NeoCD2.0 that low and i could also use a very low powered amp.. at 97db efficiency. Cheaper than the LCY too
Old 4th May 2005, 12:05 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sardonx
Ok.. I see now that i must have a cap there!

I just saw the new Fountek ribbons... I might be able to cross the NeoCD2.0 that low and i could also use a very low powered amp.. at 97db efficiency. Cheaper than the LCY too

You might want to try some Heil tweeters - they are much more robust than a ribbon and offer excellent response/sound when driven direct. I haven't had a problem with mine in situations where a ribbon would have been destroyed.
Old 5th May 2005, 01:26 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Magnetar
You might want to try some Heil tweeters - they are much more robust than a ribbon and offer excellent response/sound when driven direct.
Very true. A very nice tweeter. A dipole as well. These can be XOed as low as 800 Hz. Also very efficient. My buddy might be selling his off....

dave
Old 6th May 2005, 05:35 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

That would be nice to try but a bit out of my price range.

I did read in another thread I believe that one person thought the Raven R1 sounded better than the heil for treble.
Old 6th May 2005, 06:01 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sardonx
That would be nice to try but a bit out of my price range.
Less expensive than the LCYs. On the order of $300 CAD i'd expect.

dave
Old 30th May 2005, 03:01 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Amp for tweeter

In my opinion you should try to optimize the LM3875.
I'm using SET amps now and am switching to the LM3875.
I have 4 working on parallel right now. They do not
have an active cross-over yet. They make treble sound
as one of the best amps that I've heard.

I think a well designed Chip amp can beat any high-end
amplifier out there.

I'm still building but the sound is extremely promising.

Harry
Old 18th June 2005, 04:21 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default LCY tweeter w/o cap

My system is tri-amped, and employs the LCY 130 ribbons for tweeters, SS 7" mid-woofers and Peerless subs. The 130s replaced SS99000 domes on my Rhythms.

Though I purchased a suitable Solen cap as a protection for the LCYs, I never installed it. Andre at eSpeakers indictated that it would be unnecessary - and so it was.

I do use a Furman power sequencer to insure that the amps power up last and down first, to eliminate transients. I have never had the least problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!