Ribbon Tweet suggestions....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, got some questions about ribbons. I compete in car audio Sound Quality events and am looking to try some in my show car, they will be put in sturdy enclosures and well protected.

My questions are...well, there are so many options with the ribbons. In a car, we have judges of different sizes sitting in the vehicle, so vertical dispersion could be in issue, the LCY seems to take care of that, however, it doesn't seem to have the good horizontal dispersion that ribbons are known for either? I figure, if I got a tall ribbon, like the Aurus Cantum G3, I would have a wider vertical sweet-spot, and the good horizontal, but I seem to be reading that a shorter ribbon will have better vertical dispersion??? THe cross point will be 2k 36db per octave so I need something that can handle that area in a natural manner...

Another question is concering the different brands, there is little info on the net about these, and even here there is not much to sift through, what subjective opinions are there about the different brands and their characteristics? Any one in particular I should look at for my particular application?? The smaller the better as they will be going in custom made kick panels, and I can't afford something like the Raven R3's, looking to spend circa $400. Also, I do some personal listening in the vehicle at very generous levels at times, are these guys up to the task?? I'm not talking about sever abuse, just a thorough workout. Also, during the judging for "best of Show" often times judges use whatever material they want, are these tweets biased to say classical music or will they work well all around? Thanks for any help, Josh

P.S. if this is any help, where this is stemming from is I'm currently using the morel supreme (mated with the 5.5 mag-cone excel) and at 2k its sound is less than natural, it sounds nasally and weak, I find some of its top end a little fictional as well. I have a pair of Hiquphon OW1's in the mail to give those a shot, but before I start building my new kick panels, I would like to explore the ribbon option as well. Thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.