OGIaudio - True Ribbon - Full Range - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2005, 11:19 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

How do you get such impressive low frequency output from your ribbons?

On the my web site you can see that impulse start at 0.2ms, that means mic. was at few cm from ribbon.
Important thing is that I get enough low freq. without problems with ribbon for Jazz music.
I have this system 5 years, for me pure ribbon is all I need.
Some of my friends think that I need sub too.
Maybe they are right, if I want to offer my speaker maybe I really must add a sub.
Which sub system will be the best choice for 100Hz -3db, max. quality and min. room problems?
Thanks to all !
Old 10th February 2005, 12:43 PM   #22
Butzo is offline Butzo  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi, Tomislav.

I would say that the optional sub surelly might resolve any 'lack of the bass' problem, but the greatest benefit of it might come alive if you let the sub frequencies - to the sub alone.
Old 10th February 2005, 01:57 PM   #23
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

Tomislav,
Those big ribbons look like they have the potential to sound quite spectacular. Personally, I would cross them to a really low distortion woofer above the optimum range of most subs...say 200Hz+ to a "C" baffle dipole. Later, if you decide to go even lower, you can always add a good sub below the woofer.

You may be very pleasantly surprised by how much that can lower distortion and open up the dynamics.
Paul

Test Mules
Old 10th February 2005, 06:45 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OGIaudio

I have this system 5 years, for me pure ribbon is all I need.
Some of my friends think that I need sub too.
Maybe they are right, if I want to offer my speaker maybe I really must add a sub.
Which sub system will be the best choice for 100Hz -3db, max. quality and min. room problems?
Thanks to all !

Quote:
Originally posted by Butzo
Hi, Tomislav.

I would say that the optional sub surelly might resolve any 'lack of the bass' problem, but the greatest benefit of it might come alive if you let the sub frequencies - to the sub alone.

I have never heard Ribbons that could product bass as well as a convensional driver, not even an array made with 20 ribbon panels can match a simple large woofer.
Excursion is a factor but i believe size matters, Tomislav ribbons could be exceptional, but i would love to hear them.
Integrating a woofer is difficult, to get one with the right tone and character is important so bass is seemless.

Have you tried any woofers with your ribbons Tomislav?
Old 10th February 2005, 09:46 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

There's a claim that one could live without 50 or less Hz of the acoustic output from speakers - if the rest of the specrtum was reproduced naturaly.

How to incorporate dynamic woofer's sonic behaviour with the OGI ribbon's, seems to be the problem, which needs to be solved.

I will be looking forward to contact Tomislav for the oportunity of listening his ribbons in order to get a more detailed practical insight in this issue. But as I've heard from the others, OGIribbon allready sound so so well !

Nobody had a calibrated SPL meter to pick up the number that probably interests you the most. Should i take mine ?
Old 10th February 2005, 10:11 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Have you tried any woofers with your ribbons Tomislav?

Yes, I tried with one 12" sub per/ch and with line of nine Morel MW266 per/ch
I listen the pure ribbon for many years and when I add sub I can't live with lower overall quality.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th February 2005, 11:09 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Imperfections at the low frequency region during reproduction in the living enviroments (rooms) are far from unsignificant.

Tomislav, maybe you should really try using the baffled woofer(s) ?
Old 13th February 2005, 08:50 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I decided to continue development of true ribbon speakers as one full-range driver.
After last 2-3 days of thinking this is my finally decision.
Old 8th October 2005, 09:43 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Dear friends,

I want you to know that I still work on the new version.
It will be pure 2.3m ribbon and on first look very similar with last version : OGI ribbon speaker

I solve many problems and now I'm much more satisfy.
I think/hope presentation will be in the summer 2006.

Tomislav

Old 8th October 2005, 11:40 PM   #30
Marik is offline Marik  United States
diyAudio Member

Tomislav,

If the price is no object, make the ribbon wider and get big Neo magnets. 25mm x 25mm x 2m magnets will give you good 4500Gauss across 30mm gap and you will almost double the ribbons area. If you can swing 50mm x 50mm x 2m magnets, you will get the same flux already across 60mm gap. Here we already enter into pretty serious stuff.
I'd highly suggest to corrugate the ribbon. Uncorrugated one works basicaly like a marimba bar, with all resonance modes, etc. Also, the corrugation will let you tune the ribbons precisely and make them much more compliant, reducing danger of tearing them.

Hide this!Advertise here!