Possible to create a 12cm radius waterproof speaker??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi!

have be scouting around the web looking for small waterproof speakers... and came across ESLs...

is it possible to make them waterproof? i have seen there is usually a metal perforated sheet on the front and back - is it possible at all to make these speakers perfectly sealed? ..or indeed any other type of speaker? I have found some standart type waterproof speakers - but want something that looks completely flush (so make it look as though there isnt a speaker there!

also the ESLs i have come accross look rather big - i want quite a good quality + good volume - will an ESL do what i want?

i hope some of you can help... please ask me any extra details i might have forgotten to add!!

thank you very much for your help!

Dominic

the speakers wouldnt be working whilst being in contact with water. I basically need a speaker of around this size (smaller if possible). the device it is located within needs to be washable. so is there a speaker that is waterproof or it is possible to have a speaker overwhich a membrane is stretched? or are these magnoplannar speakers what im looking for? what kind of size is possible?

If you want something for outdoor use or maybe bathroom use, I think you could seal an ESL. But ESLs don't work terribly well when you put them up against a wall.

While the driver is thin and flat, you still have electronics to go with it that are anything but thin and flat. You need an audio transformer to step the output of the amplifier up to drive the speaker. A push-pull design would require a HV bias supply also. That means you need to run multiple wire carrying HV to the driver.

Since you're talking about mounting it flush with a wall, you're probably not too concerned about fidelity, so you could make an assymetrical speaker using just a metallized diaphragm and a single stator, and eliminate the bias supply used in push-pull designs. It will distort (lots of even order harmonics, just like the tube guys love!), but it will make intelligible sound (I think).

There are much easier, cheaper, and even safer ways to achieve low fidelity...

I_F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.