Acoustat ESLs - What Next? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2004, 12:18 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Those are Acoustat model 1's, not 1+1's which are 93" tall.

Model 1's were sold with a 12" subwoofer
Old 10th November 2004, 09:28 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to G-Daddy
Default A-ha!

Ahhh, so Model 1's, its nice to know what I'm dealing with, then. 12" sub you say? Interesting!

So whats the story on this attached subwoofer? Presumably, there were two of them. What were their frequency range? What was their wattage rating? What was their construction, how were they configured? It would help me immensely to know what Acoustat considered appropriate to accompany these speakers.

Specifically, I'd really like to know what sort of electronics went between the woofer drivers and the "woofer feed" terminals on the back of the ESLs. I haven't hooked up a regular speaker there yet to see, but I suspect I'll need something to low-pass the signal that the woofers see.

If anyone has any information on the specific nature of the low-frequency speakers that Acoustat provided with these Model 1's, I would love to hear it.

For what its worth, I thought through Bear's suggestions, and my plan now is to find a decent modern consumer amplifier that can generate respectable power-per-channel, say in the upper 100's to lower 200 watts per channel. I'll use my current speakers in conjunction with my ESLs by going from amp to ESL-in, and then from ESL "woofer feed" out to the standard speakers.

This will be the "for the time being" configuration, while I research and build a vertical array line source pair. I'm pretty good with woodworking and have access to a limited supply of tools at work, so it'll just be a matter of doing my reading and scratching together the parts.

If that's not enough then perhaps I'll track down a powered sub-woofer to cover the very low end, but I suspect I can live with the line source and ESL combo.

So, I'm in the market for a new amp. I've bought a few before, and helped out some friends on their acquisitions, but I've never bought an amplifier with the intent to saddle it with electrostatic loudspeakers. I know its probably not the best choice in terms of sound quality, but I'm considering a high-end integrated receiver, something that can swing dolby digital decoding, and that has enough surround channels to cover any future home-theatre expansion I go with. Am I going to run into any troubles with stability or overheating? Are there any amps of this sort that are considered more reliable than others in dealing with unusual loads? Thanks everyone for the help so far, I really appreciate it.
Old 11th November 2004, 02:52 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Specifications- Acoustat Model One:

Frequency Response: 30-18kHz +/-3dB
Sound Pressure Level 108dB measured @15' in a 14' X 18' room (music peaks)
Minimium Power Requirements 100 watts/channel.
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Power Consumption 5 Watts (120V, 50/60Hz)
Dimensions 72" X 11" X 3-1/2"
Bass Module (only one is used ) 18.5" X 18.5" X 18.5"
Weight 65lbs (Speaker and Interface) 37lbs (Bass Module)

Woofer was a single 10" driver.

There was a passive XO in the Bass Module. 2nd order filter consisting of a 4.5 mH inductor series inductor, parallel shunt cap 330mfd, with a 10 ohm power resistor in parallel.

Hide this!Advertise here!