Pros and cons of small ESL tweeters? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2004, 01:42 PM   #1
JamesE is offline JamesE  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Pros and cons of small ESL tweeters?

What are the pros and cons of using small ESL tweeters such as these-- http://www.salksound.com/htshome.html

Anyone know who makes them?
Old 30th October 2004, 10:45 PM   #2
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Those appaear to be ribbon tweeters, not ESLs, (electrostatics).

Offhand, I don't know who makes them. You might try looking at the tweeter section of Parts Express:
www.partsexpress.com

or Madisound:
www.madisound.com
Old 30th October 2004, 10:53 PM   #3
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Aurum Cantus G2si.
Old 30th October 2004, 10:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply. Is there any advantage to using a ribbon tweeter?
I have a pair of Maggie 1.6's. They roll off at around 20K and run the full length of the panel---I think.

I wonder it such a short ribbon will keep up with the rest of the speaker in a HT setting.
Old 31st October 2004, 01:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The AC ribbons sound amazing. The small ones will reach 111dB at 30W/1m, no problems keeping up with HT dynamics. But you have to like the kind of forward, sizzly sound that a ribbon produces.

Ribbons are usually touted for their extremely fast decay times, low moving mass, and resolving power. They have wide horizontal dispersion and very tight vertical dispersion, which can be assets or liabilities depending on the requirements.
Old 31st October 2004, 02:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

So will they sound similar to the treble in the Magnipan 1.6's?
Old 31st October 2004, 03:00 PM   #7
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Coupla things...

- you can't probably hear anything near 20kHz. (I could as a teenager, but not no more, and most people never can)
- you probably don't have any source material with anything useful at that frequency, and not above.
- the maggie's tweeter "sound" depends more on the amp driving it, the source and the cables than anything else - they're actually pretty good.
- ribbon tweeters should *never* sound "sizzly"! If they do there's something wrong with either the tweeter or the source that is driving it - and that flaw is being revealed accurately.

_-_-bear
Old 31st October 2004, 03:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I want to upgrade the speakers in my HT. I have a set of Krix HT speakers. I was never happy with them. Then I got a set of Maggie 1.6's. I like them but everything that I have read about HT setup leans toward an over dampened room and direct radiating speakers. Now I am in the process of building a house with a dedicated HT (600sq ft) and am going to change out the speakers so that they are all the same.

I have heard Wilson Watt pups and like them. They use a Scan-Speak 18w/8545 and D2905/9300. This setup would be more expensive to build than the Salk HT setup. I don't know at what point I'm just wasting money on more expensive drivers. However, I don't want to go to the expense of building new speakers and not be thrilled with the results. I am a carpenter by trade so the cabinets are not a problem to build.

The Salk already has the xo designed but I bet I could find someone to do that for me. Someone with a bearish attude perhaps.

Any suggestions?
Old 31st October 2004, 03:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You can describe it however you like, but ribbons definitely have "something" (air, sizzle, call it what you will) that typical dynamic tweeters usually lack. Some people consider this harsh, others revealing, everyone will make their mind up for themselves.

It's like the characteristic "raspy" sound that the Proac 2.5s have...some people hate it and spend countless hours "fixing" it. Personally, I think it is part of the charm of this loudspeaker. (Note: I agree that the bump in FR needs to be eliminated, that is a separate issue)
Old 31st October 2004, 07:24 PM   #10
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

My experience with the AC 2si is that they don't have the typical treble "shimmer" sound that I associate with planars. Instead they are very smooth and natural sounding , but with detail.
It might depend on the crossover. They are wonderful tweeters- I think we can all agree on that? Highly recommended

Hide this!Advertise here!