Cardboard Speakers! - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2004, 06:13 PM   #21
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Well, this is the perfect group project.
Kind of the DIY reference speaker project- but so cheap that
everyone can participate!

The link shows lot of good xperimentation to this point- I wouldn'be a bit surprised if we could come up with something pretty darned good in the end.....
Old 28th October 2004, 02:40 PM   #22
MEXXX is offline MEXXX  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MEXXX Send a message via MSN to MEXXX Send a message via Yahoo to MEXXX
Well, no luck finiding the Sonic Impact T-Amp or the combo pack at my local Target.

There are two more stores within a 20 mile radius that I will check out this weekend.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hopes low.

MEXXX
Old 28th October 2004, 10:53 PM   #23
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MEXXX
Well, no luck finiding the Sonic Impact T-Amp or the combo pack at my local Target.

There are two more stores within a 20 mile radius that I will check out this weekend.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hopes low.

MEXXX
The stores I found these at had them on the end caps in the vicinity of the stereos/mp3 players/computers. They were with a bunch of other clearance stuff and had no sign or anything on the shelves.

I'm in the far west suburbs of Chicago if that helps any.

BTW, I started to mod one of the amps today. I'm planning on putting it in an aluminum case with dual inputs selectable with a front panel switch and actual binding posts for speaker connections.

So far so good but I'm having a little troube de-soldering the LED. I don't want to overheat the surface mount devices so I'm being careful but it might be time to pull out the desoldering iron instead of using the copper braid.

Once that LED is off the board the rest should be a piece of cake (famous last words).
Old 29th October 2004, 03:47 PM   #24
marcusf is offline marcusf  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi;

Does anyone know if the small amp that comes with the flat speakers is the same type of chip as the class-T 15w amp? I picked one up yesterday and the documentation didn't say much about the amp except to state that it was 2 watts. I checked Sonic Impact's website, but it didn't say either. It sounded good through my fe127Es though.

thanks
Old 29th October 2004, 11:41 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MEXXX Send a message via MSN to MEXXX Send a message via Yahoo to MEXXX
If your referring to this amp, no its not the same as the T-Amp.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th October 2004, 01:33 AM   #26
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marcusf
Hi;

Does anyone know if the small amp that comes with the flat speakers is the same type of chip as the class-T 15w amp? I picked one up yesterday and the documentation didn't say much about the amp except to state that it was 2 watts. I checked Sonic Impact's website, but it didn't say either. It sounded good through my fe127Es though.

thanks
I don't know which class-T 15w amp you are referring to but the Sonic Impact that came with the cardboard speakers I bought is a 15wpc digital amp.
Old 30th October 2004, 02:15 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

To elaborate a little more on the specs its 6 w/rms per channel into 8 ohms @ 0.1% THD+N and 15 w/rms per channel into 4 ohms @ 10% THD+N.
Old 30th October 2004, 05:08 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Target and PE both sell this amp:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-952
Looks to be higher power?
Old 30th October 2004, 08:43 AM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyx
I think those cardboard speakers used NXT technology
Yes, these are NXT distributed mode speakers. The cardboard is set to resonate by the exciter glued to the backside. Whereas we usually try to not have resonances in a speaker an NXT panel is designed to have as many resonances as possible, close enuff together that they have flattish response. (much much more info at NXT's website).

Click the image to open in full size.

There is a page on these cardboard jobbies.

http://www.nxtsound.com/industries/i...es.php?f_id=16

A lot of research has gone into figuring out what shape, resonant qualities, and exciter position give reasonable sound quality. I doubt they will ever achieve real hifi, but they do some things like no other speakers can, and as your example shows, the box your cereal comes in could be a speaker (ie prize is the box not in the box )

dave
Old 30th October 2004, 08:46 AM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherman
I did attempt to measure FR of the cardboard speakers this morning but couldn't. When playing a 1K Hz tone and setting the volume to 0 db on my meter I encountered a problem. At about minus 2 dB the speakers began emitting a second, completely different tone simultaneous with the 1K Hz signal.
That is a side effect of how they work... thet resonate.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!