How about an ESL? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2004, 05:15 PM   #51
Prune is offline Prune  Canada
Account Disabled

Even under tension, I doubt these wires are nearly as rigid as a perforated panel. Thus, some of the electric energy would be converted to motion in the wires instead of just the membrane. Would this not be a source of distortion? Depending on their tension, one could imagine them acting like piano strings after a large transient. And how would moving wires affect the electric field?
Old 28th April 2004, 06:13 PM   #52
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The wires don't provide the rigidity- the egg-crate does. The wires only span a cm or so between supports.
Old 28th April 2004, 08:13 PM   #53
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the design being referred to is the one without the eggcrate support--just tensioned wires.
Old 28th April 2004, 08:54 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Default alternative...

ok, as of now i think i will be using thw tensioned wire method...could i have some links to schematics for the power supply?
Old 28th April 2004, 09:55 PM   #55
Prune is offline Prune  Canada
Account Disabled

Huh? I must be missing something here, because there are no egg-crates in peterr's link.
Old 28th April 2004, 10:07 PM   #56
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Sorry, Prune, I thought you were talking about my stators, not the Dutch ones.
Old 29th April 2004, 04:47 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Prune,
Surely somewhere on the web there will be a picture of a disassembled Acoustat. The grid I'm describing is white plastic--probably polystyrene--comprised of small squares about 3/4" on a side. It's about 3/4" thick. The panels were 2' by 4.' The stuff cuts easily. I imagine they would have it at Lowe's or Home Depot or whatever you have up your way.
Acoustat glued wires to the grid. I don't know what they used as an adhesive. I built some narrow ESL panels of this nature about 3" wide to use for midranges and had trouble finding a glue that would bind both the insulation on the wire (PVC, as I recall) and the plastic panels. This was a long time ago, and I'm sure there are more choices out there for glues now than I had twenty years ago.
I also had trouble getting the wires straight, but I was too impatient to make a jig and was laying them by hand. Something I'd think would be of possible use here is ordinary aluminum window screen, the kind to keep the bugs out. Cheap, easily available, and close enough meshed to guarantee an even static field. Yes, I realize it's not insulated, so contact with the membrane should be avoided, but then lots of ESLs have used bare metal over the years.
Incidentally, I contrived a direct drive tube circuit to run the thing by modifying an old VM tubed integrated amp. The downfall was that the plastic I was using was too thick/heavy. I keep threatening to go back into the direct drive ESL thing, but it's a low priority at present.
SY,
No argument that Acoustat could have spent another dollar or two making their speakers more rigid.
Diluted black paint might be interesting to follow up on. I might have some old paint that I can use for a resistance test...if I can only remember where I put it.

Grey
Old 29th April 2004, 07:19 AM   #58
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins
Surely somewhere on the web there will be a picture of a disassembled Acoustat.
Here

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 29th April 2004, 08:05 AM   #59
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Is that who i think it is..? must bee.. that is your trade mark with them LIME GREEN TENNIS BALL"S hehe
Old 29th April 2004, 08:16 AM   #60
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonL

Is that who i think it is..? must bee.. that is your trade mark with them LIME GREEN TENNIS BALL"S hehe
They are yellow... yes that is Mr Miller -- all 6 feet of him.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!