Replacing neon lamp for charging indicator in Quad ESL63

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

the voltage printing on the cap that is in parallel to the neon bulb might give a hint on the bulb´s specs.
I assume it is >>100V as many small neon bulbs in screwdriver phase-testers are specced for a flashover voltage of ~90Vac (flash-off ~60V).
The voltage rating of the Cap must be higher than the flashover voltage of the bulb (keep dc and ac values in mind!).
Look for example the Datasheet of the "Glimmlampe" at Reichelt.de
If You order a lamp with series resistor just cut the resistor off (models "L 2108" - clear, "L 2111" - red, "L 2113" - green)

jauu
Calvin

They are standard NE-2 neon bulbs I believe. There used to be a zillion neon bulb sizes, but the NE-2 seems to be the most popular these days.

Putting on my engineer hat, I'd say it really doesn't matter too much what neon bulb you use. It is a pass element when the voltage across it gets above a threshold and than effectively opens the circuit when it stops conducting. A larger bulb would be able to pass more current, but it's current limited by the series resistor before it. so it really doesn't matter. If it was a different noble gas, it would "strike" at a different voltage, but good luck finding bulb with a gas other than neon.

I rarely see problems with those neon bulbs, I suppose if a speaker bad panels and ws left on for a long time, the bulb could burn out. I used to use a lot of NE-2's because I would replace the Quad 57 power supply power indicatior lamp bulbs. But I use an LED board that replaces the NE-2's in the 57's now, so I don't go through as many neon bulbs as I used to. I got them at mouser or digikey.

Sorry for the slow response, I haven't been on here very much (the weather is nice in the real world)

Sheldon
quadesl.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.