Striving for optimum transparency and resolution in an ESL - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2017, 09:48 PM   #11
kazap is offline kazap  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
Hello there,

Here are a few things that I seemed to have notice while I was building and testing my little panels......

With a decent and proper stator material and thickness you can still have ionization but the current flow will be so low as not to cause any punch through or burn't diaphragms due to the increased DC resistance of the coating.........
Hi Ger
Thanks for sharing your experiments and tips.

With regards to stator coating it seems your saying the main role is to protect the diaphragm from damage with sparking?

In that case does it make sense to coat both sides of the diaphragm and charge both sides so the diaphragm is fully protected on all sides?

I think the protection is much more then a physical effect. Its more then painting both sides of a wooden outdoor sign for weather protection. I imagine it will create a quasi Faraday shield effect whereby the diaphragm is protected within a near neutral electrical field from high voltage breakdown.

I can see this is double the work to coat the diaphragm so I can understand it not being done. Has it been done before?

With Licron spray being so affordable and quick to use what do you think the cost would be in terms of money and time to double coat and charge the diaphragm?

Thanks
Hugh

Hide this!Advertise here!