Quad 57 EHT transformer types?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Again, I've found a discrepancy.
Now, regarding the transformers at the EHT block.

My two speakers transformers are differs in colors (the insulating tape's color) and also: layout.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I haven't measured anything yet, but my question is:

Can I harmonise these two to achieve a 'matching pair' or I have to source a transformer?

I agree, don't worry about it. You will have two output taps to choose from 590v, and 610v on the one. I think the other one only has 590 if memory serves me right. so you'll adjust the newer one to match the older one and you'll be good. Probably a bigger difference will be the input resistors on the EHT blocks, if they drifted over time, that can change the output a lot. I replace those, and the diodes in the EHT blocks (and I check the caps, but they are very rarely bad; like 2 in twenty years), and finally the neon bulbs and power jack.

Sheldon
quadesl.com

Thank you for your help, I feel much relieved.
I sourced 2 identical eht boxes from OTA, and swapped the diodes to PH- BY228s. I did not want to exchange the factory capacitors, but I have no way to test them one-by-one.

The two unit's resistors cold-measured the same very precisely, so I hope this won't be a problem. If yes, I will bulid some rectifier boards.

Sounds like your power supplies are in good shape. Don't worry about swapping the resistors. I do it when swapping the diodes, just as a preventative measure more than anything. Since you are doing this stuff yourself, if you find something amiss, you can just go back in and track it down. When I'm fixing speakers for others, I err on the side of caution.

Sheldon
quadesl.com

I decided to rewire the EHT again, this time for cosmetic reasons only (i know, i know)

But strangely, I measured higher EHT voltages after the procedure:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.