Tympani 1-D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I believe this is my first post here. This is where I troll when the answers get tough, too tough for other fine audio fan websites to answer.

I have searched the threads here and have not found the answer to this yet.

I purchased a pair of Tympani 1-D's this weekend with the intent to restore them. When I arrived, I was surprised that it was a gentlemen I had purchased from before (another Maggie set). He had discovered that one of the panels worked perfectly, and indeed I hooked that panel up and it sure does sound very nice. He told me the other had a woofer and tweeter panel completely out. No rattle in any of the 4 working panels! So just two panels to contend with, at least immediately.

I have not hooked up the other panel set yet, but will this week. While I am not able to physically get after them as of yet, I did have time to research as much as I could on the potential fixes. Everything seems in line with the exception of sourcing the proper gauge/material tweeter wire. I read that Magnepan was no longer selling it (not verified, and hoping this is urban legend). I therefore set out to source some via the internet. Wow, it is a hard find.

My humble question to some of you out there is: Where do you find AWG 36 AL wire IF Magnepan indeed does not carry/sell it anymore (verification on that point will save me a call).

Thank you in advance for your kindly response.

You can call magnepan during business hours and talk directly to them. I did this a year or so ago and a box showed up a few days later at my door with all the necessary stuff to perform replacement of the bass, tweeter panels. Wire, glue etc.

Go to their website for contact info.

Very Nice people to deal with. Think it was like $60-70 bucks for the kit.

Oh......good luck to you. That is a big job....or better said pain in the butt. You'll need a good supply of paper towels and patience ;).

Last edited:
:)i did a tymp 1d few years back. although i replaced all bass wires by foil. since they where completly gone, and i hated the wires glue crap.
there is a post on here somewhere. the tweeter still worked so i did not open them.

this is how they measured in room.

so foil is another option, for the bass. the tweeter will be hard to find the right foil.

Attachments

• freq response raw response in room 1 meter.png
    freq response raw response in room 1 meter.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 205
  • freq response with smoothing in room 1 meter.png
    freq response with smoothing in room 1 meter.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Then it was an urban myth and that is the best I could ask for, if it is indeed the aanel wire that has a break. In the back of my mind is the secret hope that it is a lead wire. Token from to many bending excercise. I'm due for that type of speaker repair. So all is well.

I will avoid the foil as I'm already geared up to handle wiring it.

Thanks for the fast response folks!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It is difficult to obtain enamelled aluminium wire in small quantities. Suppliers ask for minimum orders of typically, 1 tonne; making it impractical for voice coil re-winders to stock it, especially in various gauges. You could try www.goodfellow.com/E/Aluminium-Wire.html for 0.127mm diam. wire in small lengths. The other problem will be in soldering the aluminium wire to the terminals. There are special solders and ultra sonic soldering equipment that are available for this tricky operation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.