DIY planar magnetic + open baffle woofer array - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2017, 05:13 PM   #291
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll make another run at the impedance measurements including a check on a known-value resistor. The planar and woofer measurements were done in exactly the same way, one right after the other. You'll have to be a little more specific about what you mean by "loop back sanity check" in this impedance testing context.

Few
Old 4th April 2017, 01:54 AM   #292
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Checking a know resistor is a great way to test what is happening. I'll look in the manual tomorrow to see the correct way to do a diagnostic loop back. Kinda tired tonight. Long day.
Old 19th April 2017, 03:41 PM   #293
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

How goes the saga?
Old 20th April 2017, 12:36 AM   #294
diyAudio Member

According to FedEx tracking the new amplifier should be here Friday. I hope it just plain works, with no surprises.

While waiting for it I completed the cabinet that hides the electronics and is intended to "tie the room together." (That's a Big Lubowski movie quote, in case it isn't obvious.) It's actually supposed to tie the room and speakers together (round woofers, round cabinet handles...get it?) but I couldn't find a quote that accommodated speakers. The old amp below the cabinet is the temporary one keeping me in music until the new class D amp shows up. Things should look tidier once the amp is gone and the extra cable mess is eliminated.

I realize the diyaudio crowd isn't likely to be overly interested in room decor but I'm sort of dead in the water until my electronics are back in order and since you asked for an update, I'm posting a crappy compressed iphone photo as project life support. I do appreciate the expression of interest!

Few
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabinet photo.jpg (57.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 20th April 2017, 02:37 AM   #295
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Well Sir Few I have to say it looks smart.

Done a fair bit of design work over the years and I'd be very proud to say they look really professional.
Old 21st April 2017, 12:00 AM   #296
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mark. I appreciate the supportive comments. As usual, construction took longer than planned/expected. Is that part of the definition of "project?" It seems to be in my experience. I think I hold the title of world's slowest painter of cabinetry. I swear I sand off more than I apply. On the other hand, the top slab of cherry was hand-planed and I'm pretty pleased with the result. My wife gets credit for the idea of hanging the cabinet on the wall rather than using legs.

Few
Old 21st April 2017, 01:01 AM   #297
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Nothing promotes acceptance of large speakers like being involved in the design!

W.A.F. (wife acceptance factor) is an acronym for poor communication.

Nice to see the end results are appreciated all around.

Now you must burn a pile of boxes to the courier gods.
Old 23rd April 2017, 10:46 PM   #298
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure how many readers are familiar with this site on diy audio projects. It makes for fun browsing. My towers just got added to the mix.

By the way, the new amplifier has arrived, is installed, and seems to work without glitches. Hooray! That allowed me to get the limp-along amp off the floor and neaten the set-up a bit. Pardon the mod lighting---I was fiddling around in photo-land a bit today and got "creative" toward the end of the session. The photos on the homebuilthifi site are more straight-shootin'.

Few
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crazy lighting on speakers.jpg (572.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 24th April 2017, 12:37 PM   #299
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Nice post on this thread. And nice post on the referenced website.
Old 29th April 2017, 04:51 PM   #300
diyAudio Member

@ Few,
Glad to hear the new amps have arrived...in working order!
Thanks for sharing pics of your setup, very nice indeed.

Hide this!Advertise here!