Patent one can only wonder about it´s been granted - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2016, 08:45 AM   #1
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Patent one can only wonder about it´s been granted

Hi,

US-patent-offices never fail to surprise us with worthless or ´revived´ patents.
By accident I stumbled across this "Patent" from 2012.
It deals with damping the base resonance with mesh, a mechanical ´excursion limiter´ (felt betwen stator and membrane) a coating utilizing nano material and a cardiod woofer.
All soundingb familiar to You???
Well, no wonder, as apart from maybe the nano material coating there´s nothing new ... in fact the little treaty looks like a collection of external intellectual properties and long since known techniques.
Maybe they even collected from DIY-Audio-Threads like this one?
I find this praxis quite annoying ... how about You?

jauu
Calvin

Last edited by Calvin; 1st October 2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 1st October 2016, 09:58 AM   #2
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

I stopped caring about US patents long time ago... US patents have nothing to do with the original intents and purposes of a patent of the kind we know in Germany/Europe.
Old 1st October 2016, 12:17 PM   #3
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the Pantent.....to bad about you being ..quite annoyed!
By anything to do with ESL speakers ...good luck with that...
Old 1st October 2016, 02:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
... in fact the little treaty looks like a collection of external intellectual properties and long since known techniques.
I agree, nothing new I could see.
There was a white paper published around the same time talking about their “patent pending technologies”.
PIO Sound

But, this is only a patent Application. It has not been issued or granted….and hopefully never will be.
Perhaps the purpose is to be able to use the words “patent pending” in brochures?
Then again, Final was eventually granted a Patent for their inverted ESL which was a well-known method as far back as the 1930’s.
https://www.google.com/patents/US7054456

Other recent ESL related patent Applications of well-known methods include the Sanders PCB stators and Sony AMT.
https://www.google.com/patents/US20050094833
https://www.google.com/patents/US20140247955
Attached Images
File Type: png Patent_Application.png (239.6 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by bolserst; 1st October 2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 1st October 2016, 04:24 PM   #5
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Patents are somehat of a joke it seems.
Good for marketing and chest beating maybe...
Old 1st October 2016, 07:57 PM   #6
golfnut is offline golfnut  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

One of the reasons for patents is to establish a defendable position. So should they be sued for breach of someone else's patent, for example, they can claim a point of difference. Another is to give the impression of new and improved technology for marketing purposes. I recall seeing a discussion of golf ball technology - and one particular ball was built on 76 different patents! This happens in Europe and US - patents have not been about inventions for some time.
Old 2nd October 2016, 09:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Some say it is more important to devote your efforts to getting your new product out in the market early.

For sure, the history of motional feedback disclosures - an active thread elsewhere - shows all kinds of trivial "new inventions" patented for bad reasons.

I once read that piano actions (key mechanisms) were (at one time) a big patent category.

Ben
Old 2nd October 2016, 11:35 AM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
I recall seeing a discussion of golf ball technology - and one particular ball was built on 76 different patents!
Coincidentally, I spent much of last week at the leading golf ball company, where I heard much the same thing. Some ridiculous amount (like 75%) of product development budget is spent on patent landscape analysis and legal fees. The patent system here would be easy to reform, but that will never happen as long as there's lawyers who need the revenue stream.
Old 2nd October 2016, 01:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Coincidentally, I spent much of last week at the leading golf ball company, where I heard much the same thing. Some ridiculous amount (like 75%) of product development budget is spent on patent landscape analysis and legal fees. The patent system here would be easy to reform, but that will never happen as long as there's lawyers who need the revenue stream.
They didn't share their margins by any chance. You could have fooled me, I've sawed a few in half to find nothing but a solid core of the stuff you love.
Old 2nd October 2016, 01:22 PM   #10
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

High quality balls will be more complex- there can be four or more layers, the materials and they way they interact are apparently critical, and there's a range of materials and processing choices, all of which have significant effects on ball performance. And there's even extensive research into dimple patterns.

It's a bit of a waste that I have access to all of the deep secrets and research on this and I have something less than zero interest in the game. I was offered custom balls and clubs by one manufacturer, which I had to pass on because of my company's ethical rules, but didn't upset me much- they would just gather dust.

Hide this!Advertise here!