About to take the ESL plunge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was running out of space so the last thing I wanted to address was is that,

If you consider my how my original white paint screens could not get much above a 3-3.5kv bias they were pretty much the same as having them not paint at all there were so many micro holes in the coating.

Even when they were new and I was sure that I had at least close to 5-6kv or better on them, they NEVER EVER reached to performance level that my powder coated ones did, Not even by a small factor !!

But rest assured when I build a second panel like it it I will test it without any coating on them and compare the two as they will be a matched set.

After that extreme testing of the PC panels when it caught fire there were absolutely No holes in the mylar when I took it apart for inspection !!

In fact I still have the original diaphragms with the real original Licron on them from 2003 and only one has a Big hole in it as you see in the above post, aka its final demise.

The white painted ones, I can't tell you how many burnt diaphragms I have replaced on them !!!

Ya there was a lot of voltage in there and you could see traces of ball lighting in it and stuff.
But, It Did Not Burn the Mylar.

The painted ones?.... Well they looked like someone hit them with a paper punch.

I would say that is a pretty good testament as to what the importance of the integrity of the stator coating means.

I am not done yet and I finally have the time to back at this full force only this time I will finally start my own threads on the subject.

That is something I have never done before yet, as I always get caught up in a conversation on a subject and it is never a short sweet simple answer when I do.

Been there and Done it !!

Bengel, I Apologize for taking up so much time in your thread, But I hope that the info I have presented here can help you succeed in your project as well !! :)

Cheers !!!

And, Keep ON DIYin' !!! :D

jer :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.