Ported Apogee Centaur

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A strange thing happened.....

My open baffle 26" ribbon/ 4 6.5" woofers have been suffering some baffle warp age, or bending really. So I disassembled them and put the ribbons back in the original centaur cabinets while I figure out how to fix the OB panels.
I then removed the 8" woofers from the centaur cabinets and stripped out about 100lbs polyfill(I have never seen such solid stuffing in a speaker).
I created a 2"dia x3.5" long port below the woofer, made an adapter and installed a 6.5" Peerless nomex woofer in each enclosure. Made sure the original crossovers were still serviceable, wired everything back up without any mods to the crossover, thinking that the lower rated sensitivity of the replacement woofer might not integrate well with the ribbon.
Wow! There is now some decent bass as opposed to the old dry stuffy bass. And the woofer/ribbon blending is great. There was a about a 3db hump centered around 80hz, so I placed a small amount of polyfill in each port and cut the bass pot on my amplifier(an old Pioneer SX-650 receiver actually) a little.
These things make some beautiful music. Very different from before the mod.
Highly recommended if anyone wants a significant improvement in bass performance of their centaurs. I would imagine that they now sound something like the Slant 6.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 85
The instability of hardwood baffles!
I'll probably make replacements using birch or oak veneer plywood. Maybe mdf.
Though, in the present centaur configuration there is no need for a sub and they are really grabbing me. They have a more forward presentation rather than the original laid back. Voices, especially female, are stunning.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I am still considering much, but with brood to about to add another* time is completely gone. So for now just completing my amplifiers (2 years delay) and getting miniDSP in . Then I decide what to do with the speakers. I still have a pair of scanspeak 18W8545 to replace the vifas, so a ported box is still on the cards.

Long term would love a nice baffle but its moved very much into 'long term'

Oh and toddlers like poking ribbons so have to put some mesh in front of them.

*stopping after this one. Finally worked out what causes them :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.