Advantages of several thin traces vs. one big trace?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Look into the BL product. B is the magnetic field strength and L is the length of conductor immersed in the field. Multiple narrow traces enables you to increase L, keeping a given B fixed. Be careful, though. The current capacity of the traces decreases as their width decreases, assuming constant trace thickness, so going crazy with multiple traces will yield a driver with no capacity to handle current or power.

Few

Look into the BL product. B is the magnetic field strength and L is the length of conductor immersed in the field. Multiple narrow traces enables you to increase L, keeping a given B fixed. Be careful, though. The current capacity of the traces decreases as their width decreases, assuming constant trace thickness, so going crazy with multiple traces will yield a driver with no capacity to handle current or power.

Few

This is exactly what I'm looking for, but more of an explanation of the sonic impact of different trace sizes. Is the he-6 driver actually one solid trace line as it looks like? If so, could one solid trace be sonically superior, but just harder to power? (As the he-6 notoriously is)

I wouldn't bet the farm on it but I think that several small conductors totalling the same cross-sectional area as the single large conductor will actually have a higher current carrying capacity than the large one. I believe this is because there is a larger surface area for heat dissipation.

Hi,

I disagree with he inductance argument.
The inductance would only rise if the single strips would be connected in series.
Then the factor length L in BL would increase.
As far as I understand after the TS´s description the strips are connected in parallel, replacing a massive strip of same length.
In that it equals a bifilar of multifilar winding of a (voice) coil.
Here the inductance would rather decrease.
I assume that the split conductors are a measure to increase the resistance of the ´coil´ to a level which is slightly less deadly for common amplifiers.
A massive conductor typically requires a special current amp or a transformer.
A second measure might be to increase flexibility and maybe even internal damping as the metal conductor is ´stiffer´ than he supporting plastic film, but that´s just a wild guess of mine.

jauu
Calvin

The first "this" shows two trace layouts.
One is wide and single with gaps between the folds.
The other is a wide trace split by small gaps. The total width of the multiple thin strips is less since there is MORE gap and LESS copper.
It can't be the same area as the wide trace. The split version must be LESS area of copper.

BTW,
the inductance of a thin wide strip is less than the inductance of a narrow thicker trace of the same cross-sectional area.

Another BTW,
a thin trace is less affected by skin thickness effects.

When replying I assumed multiple traces would be connected in series not in parallel. That's why I suggested the L in BL would increase. Does anyone use multiple traces and run them in parallel? Maybe I'm just revealing my ignorance...

I'd be surprised by a significant change in behavior caused by splitting one conductor into several thinner conductors connected in parallel, assuming the total conductor area is held constant. The one exception that comes to mind arises if the diaphragm is fixed on all edges (like a typical planar magnetic driver). Then the compliance of the diaphragm would likely increase because the gaps in the aluminum would allow the underlying plastic substrate to stretch a bit more than if the aluminum spanned the entire diaphragm.

Sorry! I just noticed Alexberg's previous comment about the flexibility in the transverse direction which is what I was getting at.

Last edited:
Two traces run in parallel have exactly the same L as one wider trace run alone.

It's the ampere turns that matters.
If you are using one part of the turn in the magnetic field, then that is your L.
If you reduce the current and increase the number of turns so that the ampere turns is the same, then the magnetic effect is identical.

Several thin traces connected in series will increase the resistance.
A single trace will have very low resistance, thus transformers are used to bring load into something that is usable by a normal voltage mode amplifier.
The resistance of a wire is proportional to the length devided by the cross section area of the wire (L/A). So by taking a trace, cutting it in half lengthwise and connecting the two traces in series you effective multiply resistance by 4 since area is halved and length is doubled. Continue this argument and you eventually end in the 4-8 ohm range. The cross section of the trace is A=Wxt, where t is the thickness of the trace, so a thin trace will have higher resistance than a thinker trace.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.