Pinciple of ELS-Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

i was wondering about some details on the principle of electrostatic speakers.

I attach the membrane to +500 V . When I apply +100V on the left and -100V on the right mesh the following happens

a) the left mesh pushes the membrane away
b) the right mesh pulls the membrane towardy itself.

I don't see how the forces relate to the difference-tensions and how the membrane-tension interferrs with the system.

What will happen if I charge the membrane with 1000V? Will I get a higher sound-level?

What will change if I apply +300 V to the left and +100 V to the right mesh?

I hope someone of you can help me understanding this problem.
Thanks a lot in advance,
with best regards

Georg v. Tardy

I think i know what your getting at.
Basically, You've got to be more concerned with the strator voltage in relation to the membrane. The more the difference, the greater the force, the greater the sound level.
The tensions has more to do with resonance I think. That and the fact the a loose membrane will tend to flop around at its own will and not to the music. (I think that was one of your questions)
In relation to the 300v/100v question, the point of the push pull system is linearity. If a system had your proplem then it wouldn't be balanced (prod-pull?). In order to achieve linearity at both ends of a wave the forces must be equal in both directions. e.g 100v/ -100v.

I hope I helped a little

Forces between membrane and stator

Hi,

I am still confused about the forces interacting between membrane and stator:

if the membrane is connected to +700V and the statot to -200V, id the membrane pulled towards the stator or beeing pushed away?

what changes if the stator is connected to +200V?

Can anyone give me the answer? Ideally with a short physical explenation?

Thanks in advance

Georg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.