DIY ribbon dipole tweeter, reductio ad minimum

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Now I'm nearing gluing of magnets... For a ribbon, is it correct that N faces opposite S in the gap - as the picture below? Just to be really sure :)

Attachments

• ns.png
    ns.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 501
Went to the paper store today and found tgis hope it helps somehow because tge ribbons need some streching tension to work riht, not? It is a metal flange made in the shape of a ribbon of a tweeter as you look at it. I think it might be good for pressing the foil in what good of a performance rate I don't know!

Attachments

• IMG_20151204_162847.jpg
    IMG_20151204_162847.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
According to the spec sheet they use a sandwich ribbon, probably as an alternative to corrugation. The average gap flux is 0.4 Telsa (sic) average, it would be interesting to see a graph of the flux density across the gap.
The more uneven the flux density across the gap, the more corrugation is required to prevent flexing of the ribbon.
Here's a picture of a flat ribbon where the flexing is clearly visible:

View attachment 503623

This is what corrugation is supposed to prevent.

regards,

Gerrit

Did you ever try to apply DC to check the behavior in slow motion/stedy state?

//

Gerrit, you had a specific setting in DLCP setting (assy shelf?) for compensating the dipole effect - what does it look like - I could not remember where I saw that...
Hi,
These are the DLCP settings I used for the minimal ribbon test frame:

ribbon-DSP-2kHz.png

Using an asymmetric shelf like this is an experiment, the goal was to simultaneously perform the dipole correction and provide the first half of a 24dB/oct LR filter.

regards,

Gerrit

Hi,
These are the DLCP settings I used for the minimal ribbon test frame:

View attachment 518238

Using an asymmetric shelf like this is an experiment, the goal was to simultaneously perform the dipole correction and provide the first half of a 24dB/oct LR filter.

regards,

Gerrit

Nice, i do have to mention that its more common to lower the rest of the freq instead of boosting the lower end, since you run into clipping more early then you would like. just my 2 cents. although its rather high frequency already :) you might get away with it more easily. i always got the looks when i did this in an Eq :) during post production :) and they are right.

Nice, i do have to mention that its more common to lower the rest of the freq instead of boosting the lower end, since you run into clipping more early then you would like. just my 2 cents. although its rather high frequency already :) you might get away with it more easily. i always got the looks when i did this in an Eq :) during post production :) and they are right.

You're correct, but the system will eventually run out of steam somewhere whether it's the DSP or the amps clipping. Remember that I use the analog input so 0dBFS in the DSP is very, very loud. When the digital input is used and the volume is controlled in or after the DSP then only attenuation should be used.

regards,

Gerrit

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for the screen shots Gerrit! I now run it like that and it seems ok. My Alpha build didn't have the low distortion of yours but it still sounds OK. The detail and decay is superb. Suppose it's all up to my ability make ribbons and to mount them well.

//