Anodized aluminum electrostat stators - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2015, 02:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Anodized aluminum electrostat stators

Does anyone have experience with anodized aluminum stators for electrostats? How does this compare in cost and performance to painted stators?
Old 6th July 2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Calvin is online now Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

You donīt achieve the insulation levels required for a safe-to-touch stator.
If You can insure that the statorīs be never touched the anodizing could provide just enough insulation to keep a sysmmetrical ESL from flashover, as in theory the voltage difference between stator and diaphragm becomes 0V when they touch.
The electrical parameters of the anodized layer are useable.
Iīd assume though that the rough surface will likely accumulate dust and humidity and as such itīd be prone to develop leakage over time rather faster than other coatings.

jauu
Calvin
Old 7th July 2015, 03:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Due to porosity of oxide at particular treatment it can be impregnated and achieve rather high quality insulation level. What would the price though - it's very time consuming process. I've heard claims of 3..5 kV anodizing techniques to replace discrete corundum insulating washers.
Old 1st February 2016, 08:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Just to add my experience to this thread for anyone interested. I built panels from anodised aluminium staters that worked well on a bias of 3kV. The stator panels were 300mm by 800mm by 2mm thick and were anodised by a supplier here in West London. I ask for soft anodising which builds a thick layer of anodised Alu, which is just Aluminium Oxide, a form of ceramic. I never experienced any form of insulation breakdown and would consider using them again. As for benefits I think the only advantage is aesthetic.
Old 2nd February 2016, 03:33 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

It has to be porous. Otherwise you can not make thick layer since Al2O3 is dielectric and current does not flow through one. Usual media in what aluminum oxidation takes place is an etchant like liquid glass. It does not mean the end result can not be a dielectric.

Hide this!Advertise here!