Black soot on wires and cells - acoustics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Audiophiles,

I recently acquired a late model Acoustat 2+2s with Red Medallion interfaces. I was in the process of replacing the socks when I noticed large amounts of black soot on the plastic frames and on some of the wires.

I have questions about this phenomena:

1. What causes the soot?

2. Is this normal? If not, how to prevent or minimize it?

3. Why does some wire have soot while others don't? I notice the soot is never on the bias grid wires.

4. Is the soot caused by corona bleeding thru the wires or is the soot coming from the carbon-black coating on the film?

Should I remove the soot? I am not experiencing any pops or clicks when I play the speakers.

Your knowledge of Acoustats is greatly appreciated.

I have attached photos for your review

Thanks,

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag477/email2carlton/IMG_0612_zps7nnabkzs.jpg

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag477/email2carlton/IMG_0613_zpsmipeo8gf.jpg

carbon-black coating on the film coming off.....yes! an a little dust.....but your panels look new...I would do nothing!
I have had Acoustat panels from the 1980s.....yours are some of the cleanest I have seen....you can get 25 more years of play out ofhese panels ....now parts in the bais...can go out..but if all is sounding good.....don't fix ....hehe.....

ACOUSTAT PANELS - Loose Grid Bias Wires

carbon-black coating on the film coming off.....yes! an a little dust.....but your panels look new...I would do nothing!
I have had Acoustat panels from the 1980s.....yours are some of the cleanest I have seen....you can get 25 more years of play out ofhese panels ....now parts in the bais...can go out..but if all is sounding good.....don't fix ....hehe.....

Member: TYU, Thanks for the quick reply.

I just found out that some of the bias grid wires have come loose from the last grid. Is this repair easy to do or should I send it in to a professional repair that works on these panels? Who would you recommend?

Thanks again for your reply.

The 'black soot' accumulation is normal over time, and is caused by the high voltage attracting fine dust and smoke particles. It is not coming from the conductive coating. All high voltage circuits exhibit this phenomenon eventually - just look inside any CRT-based TV or monitor.

There is no evidence that the small accumulation shown here causes any problems. Any attempts to remove it are likely to cause more harm than good, so I'd just leave it alone.

As far as preventing further accumulation, well, you can't. But keeping grille covers on the speakers, operating them in a normal indoor environment, and not burning candles, oil lamps, fireplaces, and tobacco will help. But don't let that prevent you from having the occasional romantic evening in front of the hi-fi.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.