Are there any problems associated with using a Quad ESL-57 upside down?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As question . . .

With stacked ESL-57s, the lower speaker is upside down, the upper one is the right way up; would this cause any problems with the one that is upside down?

I ask this not because I plan to stack ESL-57s but because I am considering suspending two of them.

Other than all the blood rushing to your head might tend to congest the upper-midrange?

Oh, you mean the speakers....

Since the Quad 57's drivers are vertically oriented, inversion shouldn't produce gross problems in their radiation pattern, but I'd be concerned about the effects of the rain of dead bugs, zombie dust bunnies, and coating flakes that could result from suddenly inverting a 50 year old electrostatic.

I'd also make <very> sure that both transformers were physically restrained by a mounting more secure than a brittle, aging circuit board - remember, "Stuff happens, but pooh-pooh occurs..."

Cheers

Jim

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
No problems at all. Google 'Stacked Quad 57"

soundartiwakurahqd185.jpg

This query ONLY relates to hanging a single pair of ESL-57s upside down, NOT to stacking two pairs; there is a lot about that on the Internet.

I was just concerned about any possible negative impact of inverting the speakers. The comments about debris that may have settled at the bottom and the risk of the heavy electrical components coming loose do seem to be the most significant concerns - thanks for those reminders.

Google "Faye Dunaway's stacked Quads" to see wall-mounted Quads.
They do seem to be suspended from the ceiling but that looks like a VERY strange idea. I was under the impression that ESL-57s should be well clear of any wall which is part of the reason why I don't want them sitting on the floor in the middle of the room.

faye_quads.jpeg

Added to that, they don't seem to be angled towards any listening area which is again something that I thought was considered to be important?

I think you would lose the (already not beefy) bass if you suspend them. They could vibrate from losing the rigid support.
You may well be right. As it happens, I was given a pair of Kef B200 SP1022s that I am planning to build into a four foot long x two foot wide "Coffin" (LINK). That will probably also end up suspended from the ceiling along with a Quad 303 and quite possibly me as well in short order ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.