Speaker room setup for panels - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2015, 11:36 PM   #1
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hear mods to ESL an panels

Back in the 80-90 I was in the Audio biz...........we sold Carver....Bob had his C9................. sonic holography.....at the same time Polk had SDS speakers...
then the last I saw was Fred the best yet... speakers...............Carver with the sonic holography.....did it electly in the audio path...............polk ...Fred did with the L-R-R-L as part of the speaker..........Polk had the one wire you had to run from speaker to speaker.....some well remember......right...all this to get rit of crosstalk..

Ok....what thay all were trying to do was get the sound ....from the right speaker to the right ear....before the left ear could hear the right speaker!

In the nom speaker setup....even to day the two front speakers are up front
may be a foot off the front wall....6-8' ....apart...................
an your two ears hear the left an right speakers at the same time...this cross talk kills the image...
Will I fig that if I pulled my speakers...
any speaker.....panles are what ever speaker.....as far a part....like my setup to day...14' from inside to inside................an pull them into the room to the point....where my right ear could only hear the right speaker....before I could later hear the left. ..................
I would get this holography Image....it worket.............in the 80-90 an to day........... it not Magic.....even though it my sound that way..........

Now what the down side................well most cant /wont pull there speakers into the room.............the frist time I did this with my Apogee stages......people thought I was nuts....hehe... there right..........
it just Physics..
This well work for any one....in any room with any speaker.....panles work great.................

My setup for years.............my room today 18'Xw25'Xd......one chair in my room......................speakers of the front wall 19'....14'wide....my chair..2' off the back wall..........Big stage....tone to die for....yes if the recoarding of a horn is close miket...it well be in the right speaker are left.....but 90% is not...an there is no way to get out of ever the best room an into where the Performances was.......an get it in your room........
Now other may call this setup what ever.......but it as ezey as 1,2,3,
all just one mans finding ..........
So is any one doing this an what do you call it......?if not an you can try it.....
the setup realy helps when I do these mods we all talke about here on the panel site ..............esl...........an others..........it all about the sound...an this is one way to get it..............

Last edited by tyu; 16th April 2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 17th April 2015, 02:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is it possible for you to show a drawing or picture?! (I almost grasp it, but I'm not sure.)
Old 17th April 2015, 03:26 AM   #3
Jaffrie is offline Jaffrie  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi Tyu,

I'm doing something similar but only 10 ft apart with my Odyssey. Problem is if I pull them too far out into the room I loose bass reinforcement from the front wall. Best compromise for me is 3.5 ft away. Can't do 14 ft due to room layout. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Old 17th April 2015, 12:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It Vary Eze..................just pull your speakers.... any type of speakers... off the front wall......two/thirds...............
look you are just killing the speaker/ear crosstalk!.....
if your two ears hear the left an right speakers playing in stereo ......ea. at the same time..............well you have Bad mono......good mono...if there is such a thing.....................would one speaker!....are two speakers playing the same thing
in stereo you have two speakers playing diff parts of the same thing....

room 1.... this is what most have.....room 2..... well help get rit of most of crosstalk...an the sound stage gets much biger......an much more real..

this is not new......from a Physics.. stand point.....as long as we have had stereo...............this well let you here any mod..wire...cabel changes...vary ezey...also.....
so you cant live with this setup.....just dose not look right....put tape on the floor when you find the sweet spot...........an put back up front for looks...
this is all just too get the biggest an best sound...........we can...
much biger sound stag......an good are bad......recoardings
forgive the Art....................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mml 009.JPG (738.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 17th April 2015, 10:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

jaffrie.....................my chair is 2' off the back wall.............I have two 12"rear ported subs.................one on ea. side of my chair......ea.5' away 2'off the back wall.....I set were the driver an the port.......null....at my ear.....like my ear is at the middle of the boxes....port to the back..driver in front.........my room is diff than yours...my ML SL3s ,Ascents .......fill the room...from top too bottem....side to side....mind bending.....for my mates.......................
any speakers...ESL,Apogees,Theil,B&W,ML........I can just full in what bass I need.................

only neg with this setup.....going back to the speakers up front....
Old 18th April 2015, 01:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Tyu

Thanks again. U fortunately I'm unable to replicate your set up.
With my present set up I did notice that with speakers 10 ft apart,
toed in more plus moving the sitting position closer in between
the speaker I get a more holographic sound .
Old 18th April 2015, 01:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Right.........move the speakers close to the side wall............some thing we don't
nom do...............it well help with the bass............an it well help with the image..
in smaller rooms....you come off the front wall more like you said.....it well snap in.....an the sound stage well expand.....a the tone.....lot fun
were just here for min............got get all you can out of the sound...
An this is done all passively.....just two speakers neede
Old 18th April 2015, 01:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks Tyu will try that out. Btw re bitumen strip that is glue to the back top & bottom of the stator, can they be replace with other stuff. Mine has become gooey especially the bottom strip.
Many thks again
Old 18th April 2015, 01:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If I'm not mistaken the strip are there to help damp resanace on the stator

Thks again
Old 18th April 2015, 03:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The rubber/foum like strips help damp some ..... but it use as tape.....the back is vary sticky it made by 3m.................
I would leave it alone....what happens is the Mylar on all ML panles is pulled over the top an bottem....an those are the tape peaces..... used to hold the mylar tite............if you pull it off the the mylar could losen up.....that would not be good
I have reworked a lot of the Logan..............panels

Hide this!Advertise here!