First time trying to use PCB material - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2015, 05:39 PM   #1
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default First time trying to use PCB material

A small (but time consuming) test of a cirlce esl segmented in rings. loads of faults, next time i would triple check before i waste material and time.

i wanted to see if i could segment the rings, i know i got verry little surface area for the highes frequency's but since its for an active system i thought maybe it is possible to eq for it, so the balance is right and the dispersion increased. just a brain fart. so maybe its a shitty idea, since i got 5 rings and the middle one prety small, i can always use 4 rings if i cant compensate for the dB loss, ,

The PCb material is 0.5mm thick, and the stator frame is 6 mm HPL i cut away 1.6 mm to let glue the pcb in (like quad does) the HPL Is rather stiff so thats good, also it gives me some flesh to screw the final product in a baffle. also because the HPL is stiff the frame wont bent when aplying heavy stretched mylar.

Things i need to do right next time are (if its even useable) ,
solder tabs. i should have made some solfder tabs to solder the wires to
i know hope i can solder some small wires to it without clogging one of the holes and create s spot prone to arcing....

Not using holding tabs in the machining stage for the stator frame, since i dont want to clean the frames up next time i let the cnc drill some extra holes so i can screw the parts that fall out to the table. speaking about holes. the holes to screw the whole thing together dont line up. apparantly i was in a hurry to finish something so i f**** up. also i hate sketchup, really need to use an alternative its not accurate at all its screws allot of things up. rounding off distances so nothing alligns when flipped over for instance. aaargh

well at least my pcb stators looked pretty nice, all holes are drilled. 2 mm wide and are spaced 4 mm appart center to center, took the machine about 30 minutes total to create one stator. thats not even that bad. i can imaginge you stack a few of these pcb's only for the drilling step. 2 at one time would half the drilling from 25 to 12.5 or stack 4,reduces time to 6.12 minutes for one. (or bite more since every hole takes a bit longer now)

aah well some pictures, ill try and put some mylar on it tomorow, and buy some resistors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2095[1].jpg (308.0 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2096[1].jpg (366.7 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2097[1].jpg (465.9 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2098[1].jpg (348.0 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2099[1].jpg (329.1 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2100[1].jpg (385.5 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by WrineX; 31st March 2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 31st March 2015, 07:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Congrats on your TWEESL!
Old 31st March 2015, 09:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersonix View Post
Congrats on your TWEESL!
Well thats something. i honestly did not see that page. my idea conceived (ofc first of all since i have Esl63) because i was making a Open baffle speaker, and wanted a round esl as well with wide dispersion unlike you i wont be using delay lines, to much of a hassle if you ask me . i will read ur topic now ,
Old 31st March 2015, 09:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well that was a quick read, i see it never got from the ground i assume ?
Old 1st April 2015, 03:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I thought you were making headphones.
Old 1st April 2015, 04:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinsettawong View Post
I thought you were making headphones.
yeah big ones well first tests. i am not liking what i hear. efficiency is incredible low. so low its not useable. also when using the resistor networkfor the different rings, it introduces some sort of noise. as in static noise. i am not sure what this is. its weird, my small panels play even louder then this, although this has 4 times the surface area. its not the coating since i can upp the voltage and the foil gets sucked into one of the stators. so HV is there on the menbrame. arg all that hard work for nothing
Old 1st April 2015, 04:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

hmm i noticed some weird stuff, in the segmentation program.

When i use a . for sizes less then one meter the SPL goes up compared to 1 meter in hight.

that seems weird. when i use 05 instead of 0.5 i get again another result.

here are the pictures first 1 meter then 0.5 then 05 meter.

hmm doing something wrong ?

i thought the program was for horizontal dispersion
Attached Images
File Type: png 1 meter.png (58.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: png 0punt 5 meter.png (45.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: png 05 meter.png (45.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 2nd April 2015, 03:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well made a rectangular version with just 2 segments, based on cheap 0.5 mm PCb i could get for 1 euro a piece (+- 22 cm x 28 cm)

reconfigured my cnc to work faster

https://youtu.be/vefvQRBSvnk

will assemble tomorow, and see if that works beter. still no clue why the circle failed on me

total time it takes for one stator is 7.35 min, way better then the 30 minutes on the circle (also less holes)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2104[1].jpg (261.3 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by WrineX; 2nd April 2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 2nd April 2015, 04:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Wow! You are running your CNC very fast. What kind of router bit do you use?
Old 2nd April 2015, 04:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Solid carbide, 3.5 mm dia 2 flute. well i wont run it this fast in other material. but since i remove so little the bit can handle easy, and the tiny bit of flur at the edges i remove with a sandpaper. its especially the accelertation why it looks so fast, but cutting speed is around 4000 mm a minute. but high accelerations are the the time savers since all distances are pretty close together, so if you have a machine that can run 10000 mm a minutes it still has to get to that speed in a movement of only 4 mm usually machines dont. allot of G forces are at work at these acelerations, i mean the ganrty is prety light but still 20-25 kilo. try to accelerate that to 10000mm a minute in a plit second. for me this is also the first time i run at this high speeds and accel. kinda scary , but it seems to do fine

Hide this!Advertise here!