Just some crazy idea for studio monitors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2015, 07:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Just some crazy idea for studio monitors

Well like the title says, just a crazy idea.
But hey, I was thinking, and thought "I want some more speakers to monitor my mixs.... Planars, ESLs or some thing would be freaking epic!!! And looks sweet as well!"

At the moment since I'm a poor producer and can't afford a nice pair KRKs, Focal professional, or any thing of that nature I'm using my pair of Peavey 1210H PA speakers and a Alesis solid state power amp.
Which do the job pretty well right now, and lets me hear how it would sound through a club system

But any way, I thought using ESLs or some other exotic speaker for reference monitors would be pretty cool.
So has anyone else thought about this? And most of all has anyone tried it?

I think it would be pretty cool, and of course I know you would have to have a cross over for the low end and more than likely use a normal speaker Hahahahaha

But any way I want to hear your thoughts and if you got pictures of your studio with them setup, please post them

Last edited by VicesLIkeVipers; 16th February 2015 at 04:31 AM.
Old 13th February 2015, 08:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Note that dipole speakers have really different sound dispersion pattern compared to normal box speakers (like most studio monitors). You can't place them close to a back wall, and ideally you should dampen/diffuse the back wave. Also if you sit really close to the speakers you probably want a small speaker.

One option is box speakers with AMT drivers and dynamic mids/woofers (similar to ADAM's studio monitors). AMT's have really low distortion and linear phase. However you might need a DSP to flatten the frequency response.
Old 13th February 2015, 08:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah I was reading on another forum about a few people who where using ESLs for monitors, they said they need to be at least 3feet from the wall.
But they said they do sound amazing, and are great for classical music and such.

I do like that idea with the AMTs, it sounds interesting. I'm going to have to do some more research about them.
Old 13th February 2015, 03:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Maybe something like this would interest you.

Login

Sorry but you must now register and log in to see the threads, Unfortunately the pictures are gone and I have not had the time to replace them yet, I will try to do so sometime this summer.

Here are some pictures and real time calibrated measurements of my Desktop ESL system at 95db,

A Bi-amped ESL/Altec 416 hybrid + subs

I don't have a pair of them setup anymore/yet but below is my latest model as I have to build one more yet, also included are pictures of my setup during a recording session that I thought you might like to see.

jer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ready for The Diaphragm.jpg (168.3 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg Live.jpg (118.7 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg Live2.jpg (115.7 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 13th February 2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 13th February 2015, 03:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

could consider (as I might ) the ER Audio mini panels in a sealed chamber/ box crossed over to woofer(s) at >300hz
Old 13th February 2015, 03:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

ESL's need to be in open air to sound their best.
No need for a box at all and they don't have to be large either.

jer
Old 13th February 2015, 05:35 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
Maybe something like this would interest you.

Login

Sorry but you must now register and log in to see the threads, Unfortunately the pictures are gone and I have not had the time to replace them yet, I will try to do so sometime this summer.

Here are some pictures and real time calibrated measurements of my Desktop ESL system at 95db,

A Bi-amped ESL/Altec 416 hybrid + subs

I don't have a pair of them setup anymore/yet but below is my latest model as I have to build one more yet, also included are pictures of my setup during a recording session that I thought you might like to see.

jer
That is some freaking awesome work man!
It's pretty inspirational, to me any way.
I think I'm going to try and make a small pair.
Old 13th February 2015, 06:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Good Deal!!!
I would love for somebody else to give this a try and let me know what they think of them!!

I can't explain enough to you how impressed I am with the system and I haven't even heard a big system yet in person except for some ML's just before I had made them back in 2003.

I used painted widow screen for my First set, I plan on making another set just like them using the new techniques I have discovered since then.

The Diaphragm size is 3.25" wide X 9.75" long (or longer) and a D/S of .075" to .100".
I pretty high Bias voltage (+3.5Kv-8Kv) and a fairly high stepup ratio of + 1:150 just to give you some guidelines.

The voltages need not be as high as i had stated for them to work, I just try to get every ounce of efficiency that I can out of them.

Stator coating is of the utmost importance for any ESl to work.
But more so with these since the surface area is much much smaller.
Higher voltages compensate for this to a degree and there is a achievable limit as well.
See this thread,

High strength Dielectric Coatings, fact or fiction

Cheers !!!!

jer
Old 13th February 2015, 09:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default How about like these?

Ribbon tweeter and planar mids.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0086.jpg (943.3 KB, 302 views)
Old 13th February 2015, 11:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
Good Deal!!!
I would love for somebody else to give this a try and let me know what they think of them!!

I can't explain enough to you how impressed I am with the system and I haven't even heard a big system yet in person except for some ML's just before I had made them back in 2003.

I used painted widow screen for my First set, I plan on making another set just like them using the new techniques I have discovered since then.

The Diaphragm size is 3.25" wide X 9.75" long (or longer) and a D/S of .075" to .100".
I pretty high Bias voltage (+3.5Kv-8Kv) and a fairly high stepup ratio of + 1:150 just to give you some guidelines.

The voltages need not be as high as i had stated for them to work, I just try to get every ounce of efficiency that I can out of them.

Stator coating is of the utmost importance for any ESl to work.
But more so with these since the surface area is much much smaller.
Higher voltages compensate for this to a degree and there is a achievable limit as well.
See this thread,

High strength Dielectric Coatings, fact or fiction

Cheers !!!!

jer
Sweet!!! Thanks for the info man! I'll be sure to make a build threes once I start.

Studio tech, that is exact some of the stuff I'm talking about!

Hide this!Advertise here!