PartsExpress discontinues BG RD40, 75?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if the design and manufacture of these types of speakers is beyond the capabilities of a moderately-funded startup...

I hate to see such great drivers just disappear. I've owned some 3s and 8s (LOVED them) and I had intended on getting some 75s once I could afford them, to watch them fade from existence before I could live my dream leaves my life... well, a little bit emptier.

if the smaller "leaf tweeter" units were built in the Philippines then I bet the manufacturer there would be happy for orders - don't know if there are active patents that would allow the BG new owner to keep them out

the long line source will likely be duplicated because of the number of other manufacturers that use them unless Christie does decide in favor of OEM distribution

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BG-Radia/93453844450

BG Radia

May 6

Hello BG Radia customers and friends,

Earlier this year, Christie acquired the assets of BG Radia including the intellectual property associated with the BG Radia Neo planar ribbon drivers and a patent for a curved coaxial loudspeaker design.

Although there are no plans to support, develop or manufacture BG Radia loudspeakers, Christie is offering opportunities to companies interested in licensing the BG Radia brand, select BG Radia loudspeaker designs and the patented Neo planar ribbon drivers.

For more information on the acquisition or licensing opportunities, please contact Craig Sholder, Executive VP, Business Development and Strategic Planning at Christie. You can reach Craig Sholder by emailing sales@bgradia.com.

Last edited:
I've been in contact with Craig Sholder of Christie since the buyout in February. At first he seemed interested in trying to work out a solution to all of the small OEM's and BG finished systems dealers who were all left in a lurch with no product available....with NO notice. I've been designing and optimizing a high-end studio monitor for the last two years. I finally get everything complete, make the first page of my website and take a few orders. Surprise, you can't get the midrange now!

Long story short, Chrisite sends everyone they put on the "please, we need drivers" list a letter stating that they were considering releasing drivers to OEMs. I do not want to get into full details here, but their list of demands and prerequisites to be a licensed user of their products were outrageous and not every done in the loudspeaker industry. They (I assume not knowing any better being that they are not a loudspeaker company themselves) approached the contract as if the BG drivers were parts for a video projector. You use a DLP chip for your projector? OK, you pay an annual fee to TI for the rights to buy their chips. You then put THEIR logo on your products. Then you pay TI again with a portion of your sales. Um, yeah this DOES NOT happen in loudspeaker industry. Once Scan Speak sells you a driver, they are done and out of the equation. Christie to this day has never responded to my return letter with all of my arguments against their contract. I can only assume this means they do not care to budge on their terms of contract.

As mentioned, it seems as if Danny Ritchie may be working something out with the HPV/MAD planar folks in California.

Greg Begland

ww.cllspeakers.com

Studiotech resonates with many who have been shut down by Christie's poor handling of the BG mess. Their application process, delays, minimums and residuals are ridiculous. Furthermore - by the time they get it together, if ever, too many companies that relied on the NEO 3 and 8, let alone companies like Genesis and with the 75 will be out of business. Christie has also claimed to never support the DIY community. Their loss, I believe. If you look at their website - they have even pulled the product them make using NEO 3's.

Mind you, Christie makes the best cinema projectors - including their new laser system. But this is the case of they should have stuck with their own business model.

I do wish Danny good luck with MAD. Many before have tried to work with them. I won't say any more. If Danny pulls something off - I will tip my hat to him and wash his car.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.