Measuring Active Magneplanar MG1.6QR - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Jaimo is offline Jaimo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Measuring Active Magneplanar MG1.6QR

Just completed my PP KT88 power amps and hooked them to the bass panels of my MG1.6 speakers.

My system now is as follows:-
Speakers :Magnepan MG1.6QR's with stock crossovers removed and panels reversed (listening through perforated end).
Amps - PP UL KT88's for bass and Dynaco ST70 clone for mid/highs
Behringer DCX
Behringer DEQ, fed from a Dell PC running Media Monkey

The systems sounds great without any major adjustments. I am crossing over at 754Hz - done by ear.

Questions...
Can anyone recommend a measuring system for response, phase etc - is REW a good bet for panel speakers?
Old 9th December 2014, 06:40 PM   #2
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimo View Post
Can anyone recommend a measuring system for response, phase etc - is REW a good bet for panel speakers?
Speakers like these measure quite poorly. That's why Magnepan never releases frequency response curves. Even Stereophile won't publish them.
Old 9th December 2014, 06:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Will measuring at the listening position be an improvement over traditional 1m anechoic measurements?
Old 9th December 2014, 07:02 PM   #4
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimo View Post
Will measuring at the listening position be an improvement over traditional 1m anechoic measurements?
Not really. Such a large radiating source ensures erratic phase cancellations that vary considerably with frequency and position.
I'm sure that someone in diyAudio has measured similar speakers, maybe they can post their results. Of course, how the measurements are done affects the results as well.
Some kind of heavy averaging would have to be used to get a viewable graph. I did find some sample graphs.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...m-measurements

http://www.stereophile.com/content/m...r-measurements

http://www.stereophile.com/content/m...r-measurements

Last edited by rayma; 9th December 2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10th December 2014, 06:36 PM   #5
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't say they measure "poorly"......they're just...difficult...to measure.

To really measure a set of 1.6's, I would suggest taking them outside (or a large indoor area), tipping them over on their sides (tweeter side down) and performing a ground-plane measurement from a few meters.
I know that seems like a silly exercise, but it will work well.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 10th December 2014, 06:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tip Dave - my Basement will have to do for now. It's already 26 deg F (-3 deg C) outside...

BTW, I did some serious listening last night and WOW! - the active bi-amp mod is a huge improvement on my existing Peter Gunn passive crossover. There is a clear separation between individual instruments and I could really get a feel for the interplay between close harmony instruments.
Old 11th December 2014, 12:14 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

It's not surprising you would hear a noticeable difference from the magnestand crossover. Your DCX settings are most likely a completely different set of curves than those implemented in the series crossover. It's an apple to oranges comparison unless one duplicates the other.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 11th December 2014, 01:04 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
It's not surprising you would hear a noticeable difference from the magnestand crossover. Your DCX settings are most likely a completely different set of curves than those implemented in the series crossover. It's an apple to oranges comparison unless one duplicates the other.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 11th December 2014, 01:13 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I agree that my observations are highly subjective and non-scientific - I suppose the big question is "can I live with the active setup" - I've been a Maggie user since the mid 80's and even though I've tried other speakers from time to time, I always grudgingly go back to these panels.

I've had the Gunned crossover version since the beginning of 2012 and found them to be quite enjoyable - the active crossover appears a step up again but this is purely in my subjective opinion and I may well decide to go back to the Gunned version soon.

I'll try to rig up a test during the Christmas break and see if my attempt to emulate Stereophile measured the stock crossover curves make acoustic sense.

BTW, I found this thread on the MUG site
Old 11th December 2014, 03:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think the big question for folks who have transitioned to a well-designed active setup is....."can I ever go back to the stock setup?"
It's an inherently superior way to drive electromotive transducers and, if everything is done correctly, will always yield superior reproduction.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hide this!Advertise here!