Quad ESL63 Holes for screws in mebrame make sound ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2014, 12:42 PM   #1
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Quad ESL63 Holes for screws in mebrame make sound ?

Hi im on my way refitting all menbrames. workes great untill now.

I ran in the folowing issue. when bass is played i get light sound of stuf vibrating, i could jnot find the problem but i think its the holes i made in the menbrane for the screws that go trough the panel.

i used an iron to make these howles with a template , but i can hear some tiny left overs of the foil resonating. any ideas ? to clean that up ???

what method you guys used ?

This is what Hey you says about it

The holes are just large enough to ensure that the bolts and the panel protrusions do not impede diaphragm movement. At high volumes, air resists being moved by the diaphragm, and tries to escape through these spacer holes. This makes no sound when the diaphragm is made of three micron mylar. However, if an ESL-63 diaphragm is made out of thicker material (for instance the 12 micron mylar used in ESL-57 treble panels, or the Saran used in ESL-57 bass panels), you will hear unpleasant candy wrapper or bodily function noises as the force of the air squeezing through the holes causes the diaphragm in the area of the holes to vibrate loudly.

hmmm damned.... back to try 3 mincron to se ih hes right about that

Last edited by WrineX; 16th November 2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 16th November 2014, 03:56 PM   #2
sb is offline sb  France
diyAudio Member

No noise with 6 micron mylar my ESL63, trying to dry your panels with a heat gun if noise decreases it's the humidity that is in question.

sb
Old 16th November 2014, 08:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

the sound i hear is not the cracking they are fresh panels, its like candy wrap resonance only at higher volume with say around 55 hertz. my guess is that the tiny leftovers from making the hole with a solder iron for the 3 support screws in the middle, touching or vibrating at higher spl. mostly around the resonant frequency since it has the highes excursion there. the hole looks prety clean but the original 3 micron holes look cleaner. i tried with a heat gun to clean it up a little. FAIL, should have know to screw up the mechanical tension i aplied. when heating up in the middle the menbrame relaxes.. now my resonance frequency got down from 55 to 30. way to low, also excursion at 30 is even higher. so that panel is a bust. have to redo that one.... its funny and frustrating rebuilding panels im not familiar with, but in the end i will get it right.

someone uses other method then solder iron ?
Old 16th November 2014, 08:15 PM   #4
sb is offline sb  France
diyAudio Member

I 'like you use the soldering iron, and no problem for now, you have protected the holes when you sprayed the Licron?

I have seen on the internet somebody who put a screw in place of soldering iron.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...3/DSCN0024.jpg
Old 16th November 2014, 08:16 PM   #5
russo is offline russo  Portugal
diyAudio Member

maybe a punched hole is better. the solder iron will melt the mylar and leave a ridge around the hole that is thicker than the rest of the foil.
Old 16th November 2014, 08:25 PM   #6
sb is offline sb  France
diyAudio Member

Perhaps in doing before stretch the mylar after that seems a little hard, but I have not tried.
sb
Old 16th November 2014, 08:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

i might try the screw, or maybe even a smaller tip then i use now ? , i can imagine 3um mylar leaves less molten mylar at the edges. someone mentioned the tiny hairs as well when using the solder iron, there are miniscule hairs you stretch when pulling the iron back. i must take a look with magnifing glass if i can find one beacuause i did see some bigger ones every now and then and tried to remove them.
Old 18th November 2014, 05:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb View Post
you have protected the holes when you sprayed the Licron?
This is an important point.
You don't want the edges of the holes driven by the electrostatic forces.
Note that Quad left a wide margin around the holes.
Attached Images
File Type: png ESL63_Dholes.png (357.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 19th November 2014, 09:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolserst View Post
This is an important point.
You don't want the edges of the holes driven by the electrostatic forces.
Note that Quad left a wide margin around the holes.
yep i aplied licron , then after i cleaned a circle, because i could not find any round stickers i know licron is removed easy with alcohol, im pretty sure it wont condyct there, i think it where the rugged etches of my hole tiny it may look its prety anoying soundwise. i refoiled all but one of my panels with 3 Um hopefully i can do a comparison test soon, between 6 and 3 Um then we cleared that question once and for all

Hide this!Advertise here!