Quad Mylar thickness, does not look like 3 micron! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2014, 11:58 AM   #1
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Quad Mylar thickness, does not look like 3 micron!

Hi im in persuit of repairing some quad 63, ofcourse one menbrame was damaged so i have to redo them. But that brings me te following questions.

i wonderered about the thickness of film, since this is a stock quad nothing looks repaired not the panels nore the rest. it has the darkkish coating just like all the panels on the net have. all stator crates are the black ones.

Well i ripped the mylar and thought i read somehwere the menbrane is 3 micron, but this feels more like my standard 6 micron i use fo random projects. so got measuring tool wich measures to 0.01 mm so i stacked the mylar 8 times and measures +- 80 micron / divided by 8 folds leaves 10 micron, this is where the coating was aplied. i then did the same for the outter edge where no coating is applied and measured around 50 wich ends up being around 6.25 micron.

i then did the same with some 6 micron mylar i have around. ended up in being 55micron devided by 8 = 6.8 micron

so ofcource there is a prety big margin of my tools not being all that accurate, but i measured all mylar with the same tool , so the diferences between them should be sort of in the ball park.

So what thickness does the mylar of the bass panels have ??? because this shows it more near 6 micron then the claimed 3 micron. also are the mid pannels of thinner mylar???
Old 27th October 2014, 01:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Quad 63? Cannot find a manual or even a listing for that model here on the UK Quad site.
Old 27th October 2014, 01:24 PM   #3
irribeo is offline irribeo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

claimed 3.5 micron tensioned but with 2 different coatings both sides originally I believe
Old 27th October 2014, 01:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

its coated on one side only , there is no reason to coat it on both sides, there are no connections to the High voltage on the other side
Old 27th October 2014, 02:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I knew coating has graphite in it for 63, I didn't know they stopped coating both sides as Peter Walker mentioned in his patent. Original ESL has both sides coated with nylon, I assumed because their nylon wasn't available anymore they just switched to available graphite coating, but maybe they changed more.
Old 27th October 2014, 03:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

but apparantly all panels on the internet has some sort of graphite or carbon black coating, since they are all blackish. nylon coating would be colourless ? i think. the coating comes off in flakes to if you rub the old menbrame togther (wrinkle it) only from one side.

well my pair is pretty early serial number 3787 from the more then 35000 made.

got some work ahead i presume , what a ****** to get all panels out, they thought they never be serviced i guess when they designed the thing. its complete terror all those clambs. ooh one major question to all that know the quad so well

It looks to me the stator plates are not coated with some sort of sealer , is this correct? because i can measure everywhere on the stator and have an ohm reading, there is no insulation at all. i think this is weird imaginge how much more voltage could be used if they where. or more reliable seen enough flashover spots

and another question about the stator plates, i dont see any deburing looks like they just punched all the holes is this correct ? i mean there is no small ring around every hole to prevent arcing.
Old 27th October 2014, 04:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I think now they use nylon again for most of the panels, but you could ask. Most produce 57&63 panels same time, so must use same coating, and most I read coat both sides, but maybe only with nylon which is available now (again)? Easier to do one side, so Quad might have simplified production because cheaper, Peter Walker wasn't really interested in production I also read, probably didn't care much if they produced it differently than original patent? There was some argument/discussion about coating both sides sometime, but what I remembered is that most found Peter Walkers both sides to be correct.

Copper side pcb is not at mylar side I remember vaguely, so pcb material is inbetween mylar and stator?

You can replace one panel, no need to remove all if just one needs service.
Old 27th October 2014, 04:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

yeah well the copper is the stator in the end, i mean the egg crate is just support for that stator or electrode and for the film. still is weird to me it has not form of laquer on the outside, i know they got tha metal grid and the dustcover so for safety its not needed. but it could prevent arcing i believe. but i just wanted to know because my is not coated so if thats normal then all is fine i know have to find a way to recoat them and most of all get same tension. planning on measuring them with another driver underneith so i can replicate there resonance perfectly. all the work
Old 27th October 2014, 06:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you don't have service manual One Thing Audio has it under ESL63 information.

New Page 1

Have fun, I never actually did replace Quad mylar, I opened one defective panel once to have a look and again took the car to Koblenz
Old 27th October 2014, 11:03 PM   #10
golfnut is online now golfnut  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

You should talk with Rob McKinley ate ER Audio in Australia - has experience of repairs to many different ESLs, I'd be surprised if he doesn't not know the Quad 63 family. He has repair kits for some ESLs, perhaps these too.

Yes, copper on outside of stator PCBs. Also recent Quads, at least, have coating over the copper. The effective thickness of PCB material is reduced by dielectric constant = 0.5 mm/3.4 approx. ~ 0.15mm, so does not affect field strength much.

regards
Rod

Hide this!Advertise here!