Acoustat 1+1's and 2+2's side by side

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello again to fans of planar speakers, especially Acoustats owners. I wanted to post some pictures of my listening room now that I have the 1+1's and 2+2's side by side. I am lucky to have 8 ft. ceilings in my basement which allows the slimline Acoustats to fit perfectly. I always lusted after a pair of model 6's but could never find any for sale that were within a reasonable driving distance. So 1+1's and 2+2's are the next best thing. I am using a pair of Bryston 7BST monoblocks which do a wonderful job driving both pair of speakers simultaneously. The amps barely get warm. The 7BST's give a choice of high voltage or high current. I prefer the high current setting. I am also using Cary SLP98P preamp , A Wadia 27ix DAC and 270SE transport, plus I am running XM/Sirius thru my system which allows me to hear new music everyday. I do go back and forth between the 1+1's and the 2+2's but once in a while I get in the mood for big sound and the two pair together sound awesome. The bass slam is incredible. I mostly listen to Jazz, techno, bluegrass and some acoustic music. Love the coffeeehouse on XM/Sirius by the way. I replaced the burlap socks with a spandex material used in bathing suits. This allows much more high frequency dispersion to come thru. Much more open sounding less veiled. I wanted to ask if any of you Acoustat owners to post some pictures of your sound rooms. Some of you already did when you responded to my thread (back to Acoustat 1+1's after 13 years of SET and horns). Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Blgtrio

P.S. I do have a pair of Velodyne HGS 18BG subs but only use them when watching movies on Dish or DVD's.

Attachments

• DSC_4419.jpg
    DSC_4419.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 410
  • DSC_4415.jpg
    DSC_4415.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 249
You might consider building new frames and making a "6"?

Also the gap between the two serves to reduce the bass as compared to not having a gap.

Being next to the wall also augments the bass, but also reflects the mids and to some extent the highs. This could be a plus or a minus, depending on how it works out in practice. You may wish to take this into account.

Personally, I would want something different for the amplification.

Looks nice though! :D

_-_-

Hi Bear, Thanks for your comments. I have tried Audio Research and Cary tube amps, Jeff Rowland, Classe and Krell solid state amps. The Bryston sounds better then any of the ones mentioned above IMHO.
Hi tyu, Thanks for the response. The 2+2's are 14' apart. 1+1's about 11' apart. Room is 24' long x 16' wide x 8ft. ceilings. I have the speakers about 6' out fron the rear walls so I get very good front to back depth. Image sounds very good with this set up.

Yes good my room is 18' X 40'X 13'....i have a 7' movebel wall .....it setup 25'X 18'
My 3ea flat 9"panels are 14" wade....i move away from the 1+1s 2+2s ......dont like the top of the panel an the bottem at ear level.....to me i get better sound when the mid of the panels is at ear level....but i have had most Acoustat setups....
... An were the Bryston amps can sound brite on a lot of speakers....there sound my be as you say .....right on the money........an you can focaus the sound with the 1+1s......looks like a killers set up......better than any SoundLab i heard an owened...an driveing yours with one amp....it my not get any better............. hehe
I do re-work ML panels....an thay CAn sound good...Acouststs sound kill most...
have fun with ESLs...........................were only here for a min

Long live Acoustats...

Last edited:
Hello Sy, hi again tyu, I am really amazed at how good the Bryston amps sound with the Acoustats. These have a sound very similar to the Jeff Rowland amps I tried but with better control of the bass. Not a tinge of brightness. Cymbals, brass, percussion all have snap without any edginess. I found the Krell amp to have an edge or bite that I didn't care for. The Audio Research even though rated at 200 wpc never seemed to open up and really drive the speakers the way the Bryston does. The Classe seemed closed in without any grunt in the bass. I actually started with a baby Bryston 3B NRB at 125 per channel. It had a nice warmth thru the midrange. Maybe just a touch bloated in the bass. Once I replaced with the 7BST monoblocks, it took the sound to a new level of realism, gone was the warmth and bloat, now it seemed more real in its presentation. I started to hear tiny details that were masked in previous amps used. What I love best about the amps is even after being used 3 or 4 hours, they barely get warm. I know there is a lot of debating over tube amps versus SS. But I concur with SY the Bryston is stable, lots of power, clean and a low source impedance which does great with Acoustats. For me it has been the best choice of amplification so far.

Hello Sy, hi again tyu, I am really amazed at how good the Bryston amps sound with the Acoustats. These have a sound very similar to the Jeff Rowland amps I tried but with better control of the bass. Not a tinge of brightness. Cymbals, brass, percussion all have snap without any edginess. I found the Krell amp to have an edge or bite that I didn't care for. The Audio Research even though rated at 200 wpc never seemed to open up and really drive the speakers the way the Bryston does. The Classe seemed closed in without any grunt in the bass. I actually started with a baby Bryston 3B NRB at 125 per channel. It had a nice warmth thru the midrange. Maybe just a touch bloated in the bass. Once I replaced with the 7BST monoblocks, it took the sound to a new level of realism, gone was the warmth and bloat, now it seemed more real in its presentation. I started to hear tiny details that were masked in previous amps used. What I love best about the amps is even after being used 3 or 4 hours, they barely get warm. I know there is a lot of debating over tube amps versus SS. But I concur with SY the Bryston is stable, lots of power, clean and a low source impedance which does great with Acoustats. For me it has been the best choice of amplification so far.

I have excellent results with a FM Acoustics 600A on my X panels.

I bet you do.....the FM Acoustics amp i owned was one of the best sounds i have ever got out of SS....drive anything.....you know this was in the 80s...old amp...now one needs Deep pockets
to own FM..............but there not alone...
However i have found these Pro-audio type amps ...Like the Bryston....even the mush less $$ QSC...That i sold a lot of in the 80s90s..
Have a flat responts output ...
Krell an othere home audio...tend to be EQed a littel...
an can sound dark to me anyway when pushed....
i Do think if your going to push hard Acoustats are ML ESLs...an dame sure Amps with Fans do better....driving SL.......

But most like me dont like the sound of the Fans....so thay pass by great amps for driving ESLs............for vary fair $$

Long Live Acoustats..................

I bet you do.....the FM Acoustics amp i owned was one of the best sounds i have ever got out of SS....drive anything.....you know this was in the 80s...old amp...now one needs Deep pockets
to own FM..............but there not alone...
However i have found these Pro-audio type amps ...Like the Bryston....even the mush less $$ QSC...That i sold a lot of in the 80s90s..
Have a flat responts output ...
Krell an othere home audio...tend to be EQed a littel...
an can sound dark to me anyway when pushed....
i Do think if your going to push hard Acoustats are ML ESLs...an dame sure Amps with Fans do better....driving SL.......

But most like me dont like the sound of the Fans....so thay pass by great amps for driving ESLs............for vary fair $$

Long Live Acoustats..................

It is 80s and suprisingly sounds very good compared to some high end amps I did A/B tests with. The top end really opened up and for the first time I felt as if I had table extension on my panels. Very good amp. I almost sold it as I never listen to music maybe an hour a month and it seemed a shame not to be in use but changed my mind again. Good luck and happy listening.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.