Build System to Drive MG 1.6 Q/R

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
My speakers are Magnepan 1.6 Q/R that I bought new in the 1990's. I used an NAD7130 to power them until we built a house 12 yrs ago that had a built in whole house A/V system. The Maggies have sat unused since 2002 and the 7130 died.

The house is to be sold and I decided to start using the Maggies again and build a good system using vintage higher end equipment. I do like NAD but am open to other equipment.

I picked up an NAD 7240 for $100, and I also have the opportunity to get the following NAD equipment: C325BEE amp, 1600 preamp, and 2400 THX amp (all for about $200 each) I can sell the 7240 if needed.

Using any of the above 4 pieces of NAD equipment how would you power the Maggies? Future equipment would be a CD and/or Blu-rayplayer & LED TV, to blend vintage with new.

I stopped in today to what I would call a vintage audio repair store today. It was amazing. I am going to order on Monday from Magnepan the new socks and new tweeter panels for the Maggies, plus "spike", the 1.6's. The idea now is to use the NAD7240PE as a preamp/tuner and I will demo some amps next weekend if the 1.6's are ready. I am considering a $600 one owner ADCOM GFA mk II amp, now in the original*box*with owner manual, to pair with the NAD. I am now also curious about an active crossover and some type of speaker protection, given what I have read about some amps taking out speakers. I was also told to drop the fuse capacity in the Maggie's as an extra precaution, i.e., use a amp instead of a 1.5 amp.

Thanks for the ideas, and thoughts on if $200 each is too high for the C325 BEE, 1600, and 2400, or go with the current thought of the 7240PE as a preamp/tuner paired with the ADCOM.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.