Yet another DIY Planar Bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It will be like a bookshelf with each shelf having one of these drivers:
bass+amt+fem.jpg

Yellow/blue part is the voice coil.

So it will only be a part of the pleat/shelf that will move.
The moving part, the membrane, will be 14 cm times 44 cm.
Every other driver will be flipped over so two of them will make a pseudo fold.

With a 10 cm spacing I reckon there will be 8 drivers in total.
The complete speaker will be 90 cm high and perhaps 70 cm wide footprint wise. The front baffle will probably be folded backwards to lower the OB cancellation frequency.

So far I have one question; is AWG30 a suitable dimension for a bass driver voice coil copper wire?

Last edited:
Membrane is 0,1 mm thick and weighs about 5 grams not counting the voice coil.
I don´t think the inductance will be of any significance being that large of a coil.
When it comes the resistance, I am really at free will of choosing anything between 0,5 to 32 ohms depending on how I will wire the drivers.
I can have multiple amplifiers as well.

I aim for having about 20 turns of the coil wire though, fitting in the 2x2 mm voice coil space (blue part above).

AWG26 calculations

I got the suggestion of AWG26, that is a diameter of 0,4 mm and an area of 0,125 square mm.
It then be 28 turns to get a nominal resistance of 8 ohms.
Bl will then be around 21 Tm.
The wire will weigh 33 grams so it will dominate over the weights of the membrane and (hopefully) the voice coil former although my recent calculations point to 30 grams.

Power handling will of course be lousy, but I reckon I will get by anyway as the complete speaker is an pseudo bass AMT that will not require much from each driver.

Last edited:
3meter 3mm alutape measures 0.8 ohm. App.0,25 ohm/meter.

The tape is 0,04 mm thick. I need an insulation kapton tape between each layer.
The kapton tape is also 0,04 mm. That's 0,08 mm a layer.

To get 8 ohms, I need 4x8 layer if 1 meter equals one layer.

So the VC will be 2,56 mm thick plus the VCF giving a grand total of 3,56 mm in a 4 mm gap. It won' t fit.
The VC will be 3 mm wide (or deep?) of course.

Using 0,25 wire I need 23 turns to get 8 ohms. If I can have 12 turns on the inside of the VCF and 12 turns on the outside, the voice coil will be 1,5 mm thick and 3 mm wide/thick.
That would fit in the 4 mm gap.

Here is my first attempt on the feasibility of making a VC with 0,25 mm wire. There's a long way to go...

2014_06_25-4879.jpg

2014_06_25-4881.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.