Back to Acoustat 1+1's after 13 years of SET and Horns - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2014, 01:55 AM   #1
blgtrio is offline blgtrio  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Back to Acoustat 1+1's after 13 years of SET and Horns

Hello to everyone. After 13 years of several horn and SET rigs I decided to go back to Acoustats which I enjoyed from 1986 to 2001. I had both Acoustat 2+2's which I sold and Acoustat 1+1's which I kept. The 1+1's were kept in the back part of my basement. I would clean them on ocassion and about twice a year bring them into my soundroom and have then playing for a few days then go back to the horn and SET amps. Recently I decided I want to simplify things and get away from crossovers and extra amps. I have a line on a pair of 2+2's with Medallion transformers. When my previous 2+2's sold the Audio Research and Krell amps I used were sold soon after. Right now I am using a Bryston 3B NRB which is about 125 wpc into 8 ohms on the 1+1's. I realize the Bryston is not the best match although it doesn't sound too bad and surprisingly doesn't get too warm at comfortable levels. I wanted to get some opinions on some of the high current amps that you would recommend with the 2+2's. I have been looking at some Jeff Rowland and Mark Levinson amps. I have read some good things about these two. Any other insights would be appreciated.
Old 11th April 2014, 07:21 PM   #2
HankF is offline HankF  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, I've very little experience with the high end ($$) power amps, but after I bought my pristine Model 3's a few months ago, I bought a used Odyssey Plus amp and had Klaus replace the main board, add more PS caps and tweak the whole thing. Sounds great - no complaints and it hasn't gotten hot (but I haven't done any 100dB cranking yet).
Old 11th April 2014, 07:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustat 3's

Hi Hank, congratulations on aquiring your Acoustat 3's. What was it that lead you to the Odyssey amp? Have you owned Acoustats in the past?
Old 11th April 2014, 08:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustat and Horns

A marriage of ESL and horn make a great speakers!

Acoustat 1+1, and Tad2001. Acoustat driven with Futterman OTL, Tad2001 driven with SE845 10W and a sub below 70Hz.

Horn speaker greatest sonic failure I think is due to the use of Dynamic woofer (usually 12 or 15in) trying to catch up compression driver speed and detail. The disadvantage on Acoustat (beaming, narrow sweetspot) and a typical horn system (sluggish bass, lower midrange) have totally eliminated.

In this simple setup, the 1+1 is crossed at 900Hz, the Tad from 900Hz up, the combination sounds so wonderful, very balanced, sounded more like a full range Electrostatic system rather than horn. Low level resolution and detail is amazing. This is a first experiment of combining ESL and horn, will open the door to a more sophisticated ESL/horn setup in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgtrio View Post
Hello to everyone. After 13 years of several horn and SET rigs I decided to go back to Acoustats which I enjoyed from 1986 to 2001. I had both Acoustat 2+2's which I sold and Acoustat 1+1's which I kept. The 1+1's were kept in the back part of my basement. I would clean them on ocassion and about twice a year bring them into my soundroom and have then playing for a few days then go back to the horn and SET amps. Recently I decided I want to simplify things and get away from crossovers and extra amps. I have a line on a pair of 2+2's with Medallion transformers. When my previous 2+2's sold the Audio Research and Krell amps I used were sold soon after. Right now I am using a Bryston 3B NRB which is about 125 wpc into 8 ohms on the 1+1's. I realize the Bryston is not the best match although it doesn't sound too bad and surprisingly doesn't get too warm at comfortable levels. I wanted to get some opinions on some of the high current amps that you would recommend with the 2+2's. I have been looking at some Jeff Rowland and Mark Levinson amps. I have read some good things about these two. Any other insights would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tad2001_2.JPG (64.7 KB, 387 views)

Last edited by Unison845; 11th April 2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11th April 2014, 08:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default interesting

Hi Unison845, In my previous horn set up I would sometimes use the Acoustats as the low end with the Oris horns. I really liked the way it sounded. I never crossed as high as 900hz because the Oris 150's were good to about 160hz so I would cross the Acoustat's between 160hz and 220hz. Thers just seemed to be a discontinuity between the bass horns and Oris horns so that led me back to the 1+1's to run full range.
Old 11th April 2014, 09:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Blgtrio, if your Oris horn has cutoff frequency of 150Hz, I would cross at least 300Hz or above.

My horn has cutoff frequency of 400Hz, it never sounded right at close to cutoff frequency, I started at 2Khz crossover point and vary the crossover frequency down to the point that the tonal balance of the whole speaker does not change (with 2Khz as reference) and found out 900Hz is probably the minimum that I would go down.

Another thing is that your Oris driver is not a compression driver and might not has the speed to match the Acoustat therefore might not blend as well.

Amplifier for the Acoustat also play a very important role too, after trying couple amp, I found that the Futterman OTL, and high power 845 sounded best, much better than solid state amp.

Blgtrio;3888972]Hi Unison845, In my previous horn set up I would sometimes use the Acoustats as the low end with the Oris horns. I really liked the way it sounded. I never crossed as high as 900hz because the Oris 150's were good to about 160hz so I would cross the Acoustat's between 160hz and 220hz. Thers just seemed to be a discontinuity between the bass horns and Oris horns so that led me back to the 1+1's to run full range.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Unison845; 11th April 2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11th April 2014, 09:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default full range

I agree with you about the speed. I've decided to make things simple and just use the 1+1's. I used to own 2+2's and have been looking for a pair that is for sale but seems the ones for sale now are on the west coast. I'll just have to be patient and hope some become available soon. Happy listening, Blair
Old 16th April 2014, 02:08 AM   #8
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I would think the Brystons would be fine. The Sanders ESL Amp reminded me a lot of the Bryston - lotsa power....you can also get yourself a Hafler Transnova amp like the P7000 or P9500 (later gen Acoustat Transnova amps - still strickland designed too). Why bother with an overpriced Acoustat TNT200 when you can get the P9500 or the P7000?

Also a good Tube amp would be advisable. I used a Quicksilver GLA tube amp (40 wpc) with my Model 3 and was quite happy...
Old 16th April 2014, 02:36 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks John65b, I appreciate your input. I have bben talking to a gentlemean who has a pair of 2+2's he is going to sell me. He is also bringing along a Mark Levinson no. 23 amplifier for me to audition so I am pretty sure I will make it a package deal.
Old 17th April 2014, 04:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I tried a modified dynaco ST70 and it play comfortably in 12X15 room due to soft clipping of tube.
I am in the work for modifying a pp845 to drive to 1+1 directly to the stator bypassing acoustat medalion transformer. Should be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgtrio View Post
Thanks John65b, I appreciate your input. I have bben talking to a gentlemean who has a pair of 2+2's he is going to sell me. He is also bringing along a Mark Levinson no. 23 amplifier for me to audition so I am pretty sure I will make it a package deal.

Hide this!Advertise here!